ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 21:52:02 -0400
Great topic!  For the most part I agree with John 100 percent on his
selections!

FORWARDS:
Paul Kariya
Scott Pellerin
Jim Montgomery

How can you argue with these guys up front?  Two Hobey Baker winners and
the all-time leading scorer in eastern hockey.  Can't go wrong there.

DEFENSE
Chris Imes - what can you say about Imes?  My fondest memory of Chris Imes
is taht 3OT game against Michigan.  Imes good the Maine defense on his back
and I think really carried the team defensively in that game.  I have no
idea how many minutes he logged, but he must have been out there every
other shift.  That may be one of the greatest games played by a Maine
defensemen.

There are a lot of other really valuable canidates for this last position
but I have to agree with John again and go with Eric Weinrich.  Terrific
player as evidenced by his pro career.  He may have set the benchmark for
Maine defensemen to follow.  Keith Carney and Bob Beers also had good
careers as well.

GOALIE
Garth Snow - good call here too.  I always thought that Snow was a better
goalie than Mike Dunham in that magic season, even if Dunham seemed to get
more ink in the media.  You also can't discount what Snow went through to
get that good.

Larry Rogers wrote an article about Snow this year where he quoted Walsh as
saying that Garth had to beg him to be on the team.  From beggin to the
Stanley Cup finals.. quite something.

>Most Popular Player
>Scott Pellerin

I'd nominate Paul Kariya or Jimmy Montgomery for this honor.  Kariya has
become like a legand to Maine hockey fans, but Montgomery also holds a
special place for his leadership and his hat trick to win the hardware.

Reminds me of a sign at Bradley Center in 1993, and showcased on one of the
championship videos:

KARIYA=HOBEY
JIMMY=GOD

>All Decade Seventh Player
>Kent Salfi

Real good choice here.  I think you could nominate a lot of people and I'll
be real interested to hear, a) who wins it, and b) what other people think
about this.

How about these names of players who played with great spirit but may have
not got the recognition they deserved:

Cal Ingraham - led nation in scoring but no All-HE
Michel Latendresse - overshadowed by a great class
Patrice Tardiff - played admirable hockey in light of the passing of his dad
Blair Marsh - never complained about his role and did it well

I'm sure other people can add to this list.  There sure are a lot of guys
who could be there.

---
Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask])