ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 19:27:30 -0400
Some points to consider on this radio thing:

1.  Will the student radio station also cover any of the teams' games ?  I
remember in my days, hockey games were on both the student station and on
one of the local commercial radio outlets. Perhaps, therefore, there is one
more radio source available to you.

2.  In the awarding of the radio contract, note that it was announced by
the University through its Purchasing department.  Presumably, having done
it this way implied the higher standards of public procurement was used vs.
the "wheeling and dealing" method advocated in other posts.  In the wake of
the NC$$ investigations, my call on the situation is that the
administration went the high road, rather than any other way of awarding
this "valuable" contract.

3.  The reports said the award was to a company that owned both an AM and
FM station.  Isn't it possible that when there are time overlaps between
two games, that they would slate one for the AM station and the other one
on the FM station simultaneously ?  Rather unlikely that THREE games would
be going on all at once ?

4.  Have we forgotten about TV ???  You'd think from the posts so far that
the radio was the only way one will follow the team(s) (I know, it was this
way for hockey last year because of the sanctions, but not next year).  I
just hope that in some cases, both radio and TV are covering at the same
time, so I can listen on radio, but watch on TV.  Sometimes, that's better
(especially when NESN used to cover the games, sometimes the TV
commentators were annoying).

Perhaps in the wake of the firestorm of controversy over radio rights, the
University might make adjustments in how they "shop" TV rights to hockey,
which I think are due for award, also, and rights to any other sports which
have not yet been already awarded and under a TV contract.

What we Maine fans should be really worried about, is that there is no
outlet for Hockey East games after NESN announced they were dropping the
sport.

Dan Doucette
UMaine 78 MPA 80

*** Keep Beers and Roy on the Bruins this time, Harry ***