ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jon Eggert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 15:56:54 -0500
At 01:20 AM 3/6/97 -0500, you wrote:
>At 03:05 PM 3/4/97 -0500, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>
>>Also on recruiting....Maine has five departing seniors and it  lost a number
>>of scholarships for next year (I'm not sure how many).  How many new
>>scholarships can be awarded this spring?
>
>Maine played this season with 16 of 18 scholarships available due to a
>penalty removing two.  They only used 14 I believe, and two of those are
>Adam Tate and Mike Garrow, players who are freshman eligibility-wise next
year.

>So by losing five players, assuming all are full-scholarship, Maine would
>have 4  full boats available since they can only give out 13 for next year
>due to NCAA sanctions, but that is actually "six" because Tate and Garrow
>did not play this year.
>
>These are just my best "guesses", since I don't know for sure.  I know Maine
>will only have 13 scholarships next year and that they used 12 the first
>semester this year and 14 the second semester

     it was my understanding that maine used all 16 scholarships but only
     14 players with scholarships suited up. the other 2 scholarships were
     being used by Tate and Garrow who were held out so as not to use up a
     year of eligibility.  I also thought Maine had 14 Scholarships for next
     year. the ncaa penalty of 4 included the Maine imposed penalty of 1 for
     97,98.