ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 12 Oct 1997 23:29:08 -0400
8bit
From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
... the Bangor Daily News could not get any worse, it apparently will.

I heard at the game last night that the Bangor Daily News is on the
verge of making a very perplexing move.  According to a friend who
talked to outstanding BDN hockey writer Larry Mahoney, the editors at
the BDN are cutting back on his covering Maine hockey games in favor of
Deirdre Flemming.  According to this source, Mahoney said the best case
senario at this point will be to cover HALF the games.  They will
alternate weekends and to boot Larry may not get to cover the J.C.
Penney Classic in two weeks.

Deirdre Flemming is a nice person, I've met her and have no problems
with her.  But Larry Mahoney is the man to cover UMaine hockey, hands
down.  He has won the Hockey East media award, not to mention he is
immensely connected.  His articles read well and are always worth
taking the time to look in them.

The only drawback is many media people outside of Maine call him a
"homer" in that he is pro-Maine in his writing.  Is that bad?  Perhaps
to some journalism purists, yes, but to Maine hockey fans it is not.
To me, this is the only justification I can see for doing this -- that
the BDN wants to project a more professional image.  They have a long
way to go however and this isn't the answer.

Does anyone care?  Now is the time to voice your opinion if you do.
I'd suggest letters-to-the editor and submitting entries to the
"Sounding Off" column of the BDN.  If anyone is interested in
information on how to contact the BDN and submit your columns, please
ask and I'll post that material to the list.

--
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
University of Maine