ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
John W Duffill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 19:22:45 -0400
Cathy Hart wrote:

> Hey there Vickie - Great post!  I want to tell you how valuable your
> perspective is in these discussions, which sometimes seem like personal
> attacks.  Don't stop!
>
> Their mettle is unquestionable.  It may be that folks like John need to have
> a more personal relationship with players, get to see the misery in their
> eyes as they stand, night after night, all dressed up in their Sunday
> clothes, watching the game from the stands.  Those guys sometimes are the
> ones who truly deserve 7th player status in the eyes of the team.  Z-man is
> one mentioned to me very often by the players (Paul Zinchenko to you
> uninitiated!).  Always there, always supportive, always willing to play up or
> back as the team needs.  If John could stand with them for a game or two,
> maybe then the moot point would be the statistics, and the true value would
> be spirit!
>
> CAN"T WAIT FOR OCTOBER WHEN WE CAN DISCUSS SOME REAL HOCKEY!
>
> Cathy Hart

I think my post was misinterpreted or I misinterpretd Vicki's post.  The
point of "where are they now?"  was to recognize those who have achieved
"greatness" in their hockey achievements in the eyes of others.  It was
in no way meant to slight all the other players who have played or are
playing at Maine. ( I could only aspire to have been nearly as good as
they are.)

I spent four years traveling with the team in the early 80's when there
were no stars and wins were few and far between.  Those players worked
as hard and were as revered by the fans as those of today.  I dont
believe any of them were on the "list".  That doesnt diminish their
achievements or their hard work and effort.  That is why everybody is
invited to Alumni Weekend and not just the stars.

This is a hockey discussion list and we are discussing current players
not former players.  Maybe it would be of interest to point out where
all the former players are.   I am sure many have achieved "greatness"
in their particular field.

John
An original friend of Maine Hockey