ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 1997 00:37:25 -0400
If you want to see what kind of blather we must face with those engaged in
Shawn-bashing, I thought I would share the most recent thread I have had
the pleasure (?) of enduring.  Notice the high level of sophistication of
our critic (it started quite innocently, though I wonder what got the whole
thing going again ?):

The point being, for list administration sake --

Should we Maine fans just sit and continue to take it, waiting it out until
next season, or ought we to offer spirited and reasoned defence of our
program now that the NC$$ sanctions are mostly past us, despite the flame
wars which will result on occasion ?  What do YOU feel when you see the
type of Maine-bashing post which is now becoming a regular feature on
HOCKEY-L ?

The exchange of posts follow:

 >On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, (No Name Available) wrote:
 >
 >> I think that UMaine ate the bill and lost the appeal because they know
 >>what a
 >> valuable commodity Shawn Walsh is to the program.  Year in and year out, he
 >> takes the undrafted players (that no pro team wanted) and puts together a
 >> nationally competitive team.  Since the school gets most of its revenue
from
 >> this sport, the only sport in which UMaine is nationally prominent, the
 >> administration is going to do whatever it takes to keep Walsh here.

Troy J Taylor of UNH replied:

>> >There we go with the "Maine Attitude" win at all costs, which got them in
>> >trouble in the first place.  I know the Maine people will say he was the
>> >scapegoat, but come on people, does he lay on the lies so thick up there
>> >that no one can see it....He is a disgrace to the University, the state,
>> >and college hockey....
>> >
>> >Troy
>> >

>On Thu, 24 Apr 1997, D B Doucette wrote:
>
>> I don't know what revived this thread of Maine-bashing, but you are risking
>> a serious response with flames...but I won't start with you, other than to
>> note your e-mail address is the University of New Hampshire.

Troy's response to me was ---

>I got nothing against UMaine just what Walsh has done by cheating.......I
>would be disgraced and hope we would fire coach Umile if he ever made our
>program look this disgracefull....
>
>troy

So, I felt if he was going to moralize, perhaps he could at least do it
while in command of the English language... so I wrote:

>BTW, "I got nothing" is abominable grammar and it is spelled "disgraceful"...
>
>I have chosen to take pity on you and not share this with anyone else on
>the >Maine list, if only to save other supporters of your otherwise fine
>school the >embarrassment of the quality of your response.
>
>I believe I may have missed it...What did you say your major was at UNH ?

Troy sank to the level of using the "F" word in his final response, which
just set me off enough to lead me to share it with the rest of you (I'll
delete the offending word, however).  See how he constructs the final
remark about his school...

>Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 23:53:13 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Troy J Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
>To: D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: U.Maine
>
>Obviously, I attened UMaine for a while and thus UNH must fix my
>grammar.....so f*** you.....and yes that is taught at UNH...
>

>troy

My only rejoinder to that last comment, which I'm making ONLY for those of
us on the Maine list is:

           Is he confirming that fornication is taught at UNH ?

Enjoy the summer, everyone.

Dan Doucette
UMaine 78 MPA 80

*** Keep Beers and Roy on the Bruins next year, Harry ***