ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 22:33:01 -0400
At 07:27 PM 4/9/97 -0400, D B Doucette wrote:
>Some points to consider on this radio thing:
>
>1.  Will the student radio station also cover any of the teams' games ?  I
>remember in my days, hockey games were on both the student station and on
>one of the local commercial radio outlets. Perhaps, therefore, there is one
>more radio source available to you.

I do not know the answer to this question, but I will check.  I do know
that WZON has a "hockey network", where multiple stations from mid-Maine up
carry hockey games, while 91.9 WMEB (school station) would only be able to
be reached by greater Orono area.  I'm not sure if you can even get that
station in Bangor.  While it might be an option, how viable I'm not sure.

I'll definately check on this for you though.

>3.  The reports said the award was to a company that owned both an AM and
>FM station.  Isn't it possible that when there are time overlaps between
>two games, that they would slate one for the AM station and the other one
>on the FM station simultaneously ?  Rather unlikely that THREE games would
>be going on all at once ?

True, but I'm not sure how likely 100.3 WKIT is to carry sporting events.
They are a rock radio station, and I'm not sure if they ever covered
sports.  Maybe two years ago there were some Patriot games on there, but I
can't exactly recall.  Anyone else?

To me this is the #1 option.  I don't think anyone would have a problem if
the Zone Corp. would come out and say, "hey, if we have some significant
conflicts," (and I view that as women's b-ball vs. hockey), "we will use
the FM station."

That would be terrific, problem solved.  They are not saying that, and in
fact the only people I've seen say anything in the paper to this effect is
non-WZON people.

Note that in the article I posted, this isn't specifically listed as one of
the options.  They say that they might enlist other stations, but WKIT is
not specifically mentioned.  Why is that?

I'm not sure, but advertisers don't advertise on WKIT for hockey or women's
b-ball.  They are looking for rock-n-roll.  That is a problem as well.

>4.  Have we forgotten about TV ???  You'd think from the posts so far that
>the radio was the only way one will follow the team(s) (I know, it was this
>way for hockey last year because of the sanctions, but not next year).  I
>just hope that in some cases, both radio and TV are covering at the same
>time, so I can listen on radio, but watch on TV.  Sometimes, that's better
>(especially when NESN used to cover the games, sometimes the TV
>commentators were annoying).

I have thought about TV as well.  Ideally, if there was a conflict you'd
try to get the game on TV since it could be any of the three sports since
Maine Broadcasting System holds those rights.  That would be shrewd
planning on the part of the radio stations, tv stations and UM if they
could pull that off.

>Perhaps in the wake of the firestorm of controversy over radio rights, the
>University might make adjustments in how they "shop" TV rights to hockey,
>which I think are due for award, also, and rights to any other sports which
>have not yet been already awarded and under a TV contract.

I'm not sure about this, because when football and hockey had no TV this
year (football because of stadium problems) I thought something was worked
out that perhaps extended the contract, or a new one was worked out.  I'll
check on this as well.

>What we Maine fans should be really worried about, is that there is no
>outlet for Hockey East games after NESN announced they were dropping the
>sport.

NESN said they will keep it if Hockey East is more flexible with how they
work it.  Right now, NESN must pay for everything ($15,000/game) and they
aren't making ends meet on that front.  If Hockey East works something out,
then that will continue.

I have every confidence Hockey East will have a TV package next year.  Joe
Bertagna starts July 1, and that is his top priority reportedly.  Bertagna
has dealt with TV deals in the past, and should set up Hockey East well.
---
Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask])