ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 22:32:57 -0400
At 05:57 AM 4/9/97 -0400, Cathy Hart wrote:
>2. You are quoting the Bangor Deadly as the authority.  They obviously have
>had a beef with WZON this past season, (although I couldn't for the life of
>me tell you why), so any articles quoted from the BDN, the most overtly
>biased paper in Maine, are immediately suspect.  (Is my bias showing?)

First, I know Cathy and I talked about this before but for those of you who
noticed a "negative tone" to the BDN's coverage should know that the
editors and employees at the BDN are very unhappy with the direction of the
paper, but management has shut them up.

UMaine journalism professor Paul Grosswiler wrote an excellent editorial
about this, and if you'd like to see it let me know I'd be glad to type it
in.  It doesn't directly relate to ME-HOCKEY, but it is the offseason.  :-)

As far as citing the BDN, I didn't cite them as an authority, I was simply
putting their side (Pete Warner) and the article was completely directed at
WZON's side.  I wanted people to be able to see both sides before debating
anything.

>3.  As a hockey fan, I have valued the coverage given "my" sport on the ZONE,
>but I am also very realistic about the continuance of coverage.  I expect
>Men's Basketball at Maine to explode over the next few years.  That will
>necessitate a change in the scheduling to accommodate an increased fan
>demand.  Personally, I am not averse to delayed broadcasts, or live updates,
>especially of home games.

Currently Maine hockey has blanket coverage.  A fan doesn't have to worry
about where or how he/she will listen to a game because all of them are on.
 Once that happens, it is extremely difficult to please your listening
audience if you suddenly decide *NOT* to cover all the games.  Any way you
look at it, it's a step down.

Especially in Cathy's situation where she doesn't travel, this could prove
extremely difficult if WZON chose not to air a road hockey game in place of
another program.  I don't see WZON lifting hockey for a men's basketball
game anytime soon, but women's basketball is another story.  While I think
its support still falls behind that of hockey, its following is large
enough that it could displace hockey should the situation arise -- at least
next year anyways.  Once Blogett graduates, who knows?

I would think this would be a concern for the boosters, since I'm sure they
don't want the program to lose exposure on any level.

---
Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask])