ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 14:32:47 -0500
8bit
From:
William Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
We received this letter to the editor, which I am sure will run
sometime this upcoming week, and thought some of you out there may be
interested in it. This letter was written by a student who is currently
enrolled at UNH. She submitted this letter to The New Hampshire (UNH's
student newspaper) as well.

To whom it may concern:

I was born in Maine and raised on Maine hockey.  From the time I was
five until I graduated high school, I attended nearly every game and
supported them completely.  After I graduated, I decided to attend the
University of New Hampshire.  I then began to back New Hampshire one
hundred percent.  When I heard about the UNH-Maine weekend, I invited
my parents to attend the games at the Whittemore Center Arena.  We
attended these games expecting some rivalry from the UNH fans.  What we
got was mean-spirited, unsportsman-like abuse.  The first night, gum
and change were thrown into the Maine section from the students and
several Maine fans were verbally assaulted.  The second night was
worse.  The Maine fans were taunted and jeered the entire game.  They
suffered through being sworn at and individually abused.  I was
actually yelled at by a UNH fan who didn t know what school I attended.
 Many expletives were thrown my way, simply because I was standing with
Maine fans.  In the twelve years I attended games at the Alfond Arena
in Orono, I NEVER experienced anything like this. I am ashamed to be
associated with such poor sportsmanship of UNH fans.  My parents have
decided never to come to watch a game at UNH.  I have decided that I
don t care to attend any, either.  I do hope to see some UNH fans up at
Orono next year.  I ll be sure to be there to welcome you all. Then
Maine can show you what good sportsmanship is all about.