ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Kevin Tompkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 07:48:01 -0500
Deron Treadwell wrote:

> I'll admit, I was bitterly disappointed with the outcome of the two games
> this weekend.  I could have handled losing two games to UNH because they
> are a great team, but to get blown out twice with the title on the line was
> really tough to take for this fan.  Let me just throw some random thoughts
> in my head out there for discussion.

Bitter disappointment - Ditto!  I had been hyping this series as myUNHfriends had started
to believe that Maine was indeed the better team.
However, during this series, there wasn't much doubt - UNH was clearly
better.  They were moving better.  They were better on special teams.
They had better goaltending.  They WANTED it more!

> 1.  When this season started if we would have said that we would be 25-5-4
> and finish 2nd in HE and go to the NCAA's, would we have all been happy?
> Absolutely!!  Somewhere along the way some of us let our expectations get a
> bit out of control.  This was a 6th-place team last year, barely over .500
> overall and under .500 in the league.  Maine will be #4 in the nation this
> week, and that is solid.  We've had a solid year, but people are talking
> about Anahiem and have been for a few months.  HOLD ON!  Maine *may* make
> it there, but they've got to do a better job than they did this weekend and
> if they don't we should not be disappointed.  I've been more irritated with
> myself than anything the last day or two for allowing myself to have these
> high, blind expectations.  Saturday was a championship/playoff style game
> for Maine and we did not pass the test.  We can and will improve before
> then, and I think the losses should show fan and player alike that nothing
> is for certain!

Yeah, I think most of us are guilty of this.  However, you don't go 25-5-4by accident
either....

> 1a.  What was really strange was Shawn Walsh was "downplaying" the UNH
> series, but talking about going to Anahiem before this weekend.  Why?
> Maybe the large ice sheet worried them, but c'mon.. Anahiem is a long way
> away and with two losses we didn't help our case that is for sure!  Walsh
> also took blame for the loss after Friday saying he didn't prepare the team
> well enough for the large ice sheet.  Strange as well!

He is quite the spin doctor sometimes.

> 2.  Maine, as players on this team, need to learn how to win the big games
> again.  They haven't been in this situation for awhile.  The largest game
> this program played the last two seasons was the 1998 HE Final vs. BC, and
> lost.  This weekend was a huge weekend, on the road.  UNH is not *that*
> much better than Maine.

True.  Winning the "BIG" game is tough - UNH had always had problemswith this until they
broke out and beat BU in the NCAAs last year.  However,
UNH has never won a HE tourney title - that is still very much a monkey
on their back - particularly on Umile's - a lot of UNH faithful still doubt
his ability to win the important games..... when it means something.....

> 3.  Maine and UNH will meet up again and these losses should work in
> Maine's favor.

Hopefully!

> 4.  UNH crowd was terrific from what I hear.  Great to see that other
> schools have that kind of atmosphere.  It was great at Alfond when Maine
> played UNH as well.  UNH fans have Maine fans beat in one area.. when it is
> "wear white night" they actually wear white!!

Yup, they had been waiting for this for some time - to do it against bitterrival Maine
just made it sweeter for them!

> 5.  UNH will almost certainly get a bye in the NCAA Tournament, Maine needs
> more wins before they can sew that up.  There is a gentleman's agreement
> that says if a team wins both the regular season and tournament titles they
> get a bye.  Well, if Clarkson does that in the ECAC, Maine may be looking
> at a #3 seed.  Clarkson and Maine are very close right now and whichever
> one does better in its postseason tournament may decide who gets that all
> important bye.

I'm concerned about Clarkson as well.  They do have the best shot at derailingMaine.
However, also keep in mind that if Maine wins the HE title and UNH
does not make a good showing, it could be UNH who has to match up with
Clarkson and not Maine. I think both Maine and UNH look very favorable
against Clarkson - the ECAC is tremendously DOWN this year.  I mean
Lowell spanked both Clarkson and St. Lawrence this year and that does not
bode well if that is the power of their conference!

> 6.  Also watch out, if BC wins the HE Tournament, and Maine gets knocked
> out early, Maine could also be a #4 seed if things line up correctly.. and
> that *might* mean getting shipped out to the West Regional.  Maine has such
> a good fan base I find it hard to believe they'll get shipped out west, but
> one can never tell! :-)

No way....!  I was reading the Globe last week and it looks good that BC willbe shipped
out West.  Their fan base may keep them in the East but there is
no way they deserve a bye.  They've got 11 losses - and some of those
losses are not 'quality'.... ;-)  They will probably get a 4 seed.....

> 7.  These UMass games Thursday-Saturday are not gimmes.  UMass goalie
> Marcus Helanen is hot lately and when he was hot earlier this year we were
> 0-1-1 against him.  These are some serious games this weekend!

Agreed.  Maine has to play to win.  They have got to get better on the powerplay (0 for 12
this past weekend isn't gonna get it done!).  Also, Alfie has got
to be better.  The recent trend of 1-2 soft goals a game is gonna be deadly
in the postseason - this is the time to pick it up.  Those teams that do  will
have a great shot in the tourneys that lie ahead......

-  Kevin

--
  Kevin C. Tompkins                     Comverse Network Systems
  phone/vmx = 1-888-525-3934 (x2251)    [log in to unmask]