ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Greg Linscott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 21:11:27 -0800
Deron Treadwell wrote:
4.  UNH crowd was terrific from what I hear.  Great to see that other
schools have that kind of atmosphere.  It was great at Alfond when Maine
played UNH as well.  UNH fans have Maine fans beat in one area.. when it is
"wear white night" they actually wear white!!

I am curious about this... Living in Iowa (and hailing from Bangor), are the
fans in other schools really that lethargic? From what little live exposure I
have had to college hockey, the fans have always seemed to be the most
dedicated and loyal to any sport I have seen. I had the opportunity to attend
Maine's opener this year at Nebraska-Omaha, and the fans were simply
incredible! The crowd was into every play. I even counted several others beside
myself wearing Maine jerseys. Based on the success at UNO and the success of
their club-status program, there is even a movement at Iowa State to establish
a Div. I hockey program. Where is the lethargy? I was under the impression that
college hockey is doing nothing but seeing dramatic growth in interest, fan
base, and support- and that Maine is one of the elite schools in that effort.
Am I mistaken?
---
Greg Linscott
AOL Instant Messenger: GJLinscott