ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 21:54:05 -0500
From the Blue Line for March 4, 1999
with Maine head coach Rick Filighera and Deron Treadwell

The University of Maine Lady Black Bears dropped another pair of games,
this time to Cornell, 5-1 on Friday and 4-0 on Saturday.  The Black Bears
have now lost four straight games.

"We are playing with no confidence," said Coach Filighera.  "We had a
chance on Friday, but could not generate enough offense.  We are just not
good enough right now to win games without bringing our 'A' game."

There were a few bright spots in Filighera's mind.  First, is this week's
unsung hero of the week, sophomore defenseman Kelly Nelson.  The South
Lyon, Michigan native is Maine's best defenseman and has notched 8 goals
and 12 points from the blue line.  Nelson was a four-year captain for the
Metro Flyers where she had 18 goals and 30 assists and won state
championships in 1995 and 1998.  Filighera said Nelson played her best
defense of the year and really cleared the zone and used the glass well.

Once again goaltender Amanda Cronin had flashes of brilliance.  In the
third period of Saturday's 4-0 loss to Cornell, the Black Bears broke down
defensively due to poor penalty killing and Cronin faced 31 shots in the
stanza.  The freshman from York, Maine made 30 saves, many of the
spectacular variety.  Cronin now is 8-11 and has a 3.93 goals against
average and a .893 save percentage on the season and will get the start in
both games this weekend.

"Cronin was great in the third period on Saturday," Filighera recalled.
"When she focuses and sees the puck, she is as good as anyone."

But that consistency has been missing from practically all of the Black
Bears, which has produced a  rollercoaster season at times.  It will all
come to an end this weekend with a pair of games at fellow newcomer
Niagara.  After arguably the best weekend performance in a sweep of Boston
College three weeks ago, Maine has been blown out in four straight games by
Brown and the Big Red.

"Inconsistent play comes from everyone, not just freshman," Filighera said.
 "We lack leadership right now.  Not one player on this team played
Division I hockey before, so they have nobody to look to [in order] to pull
out of this [slump].

"As coaches we are all new to Division I also.  We do not know what to
expect from each team.  Now we have film on all the players.  We can look
at tendencies, break down face-offs, and we can make up game plans when we
get new players next year."

With the playoffs out of reach and the Black Bears certain to finish their
first season below .500, it is time to look toward the future.  Maine sits
12-17-1 overall and 6-17-1 in the ECAC, respectable numbers for a first
year program, but with a roster of practically all freshmen, there is
hardly anywhere to go, but up.

"I am happy with our overall record and plan on finishing higher next
season," Filighera noted.

With the next signing period beginning April 7, Maine has broad goals for
the recruiting season.  Filighera said his goal is to get larger on
defense, pick up a few more goalscorers and one more goaltender.

"When we get new players next year we will have watched them for two years
instead of six months and we'll have a better idea of their abilities and
consistencies," Filighera said.  "The new players will put pressure on our
sophomores next season - Be consistent or watch from the stands.  When we
can evaluate with more Division I talent on a daily basis, that's when
players will be motivated.  Players in the stands will be working hard to
get into the lineup and they will earn a spot."

But before the offseason begins, there are two more games against the
Purple Eagles.  Niagara is 10-14-2 overall and 8-14-2 in the league, 5
points ahead of Maine in ninth-place.  While Maine cannot finish ahead of
Niagara, bragging rights will be on the line this weekend for who really is
the best new program in the ECAC.

Niagara has chosen to build its team from the goal out.  Tania Pinelli
boasts a 3.51 goals against average and one of the best save percentages in
the league at .913.  Clearly as Pinelli goes, so does the Purple Eagles.
Considered perhaps the best goalie in last year's recruiting class, Niagara
relies on Pinelli to get the job done, and currently she is hot.  In her
last six games, she has allowed 3 goals or less in all of them as Niagara
went 4-1-1.

Brooke Bradburn is Niagara's top point scorer with 17 goals and 13 assists
for 30 points, while Stephanie Romain has an 11-11-22 line to lead the
Purple Eagles.

The Black Bears are led by one of the best freshmen tandems in the ECAC of
Raffi Wolf and Kira Misikowetz.  Wolf ranks eighth in the ECAC in scoring
with 30 goals, 12 assists for 32 points, but has been in a bit of slump
over the last two weeks.  Misikowetz has a 12-27-39 line good for 12th in
the league.  These two carry the load for the Black Bears as Maine has no
other players who have even eclipsed the 20-point mark.  Colleen Baude is
third on the team in scoring with 18 points (7 goals, 11 assists).

Statistically the teams are very even.  Maine scores 2.83 goals per game
and gives up 3.63, while Niagara scores 2.38 gpg and allows 3.38.  Niagara
takes more penalties than any team in the league at 13.9 minutes per game.
Maine might be able to capitalize with a power play clicking at a 15.4
percent rate.  The second period could be key as Maine has scored 33 goals
in the second period to Niagara's 17, but Maine has allowed 10 more goals
in the stanza.

"They pack it in on defense," Filighera said.  "They have a fantastic
goalie and they are playing with confidence."

This game takes on some added importance for Filighera because Niagara is
near his hometown.

"We have more talent, but they play with more desire," Filighera said,
comparing Maine to Niagara.  "They caught some scheduling breaks by playing
Princeton late and have a hot goalie.  We played better against the better
teams."

Everyone will know which team is better come Sunday.

---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]

"Any idiot can face a crisis -- it's this day-to-day living
that wears you out."    - Anton Chekhov