ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 19:35:13 -0500
8bit
From:
Charles DeLong <[log in to unmask]>
Maine Hockey lost a true friend and dedicated volunteer yesterday when
Rich
Britt died in an auto accident.  We will all miss his smiling face.

I came to know Richard Britt, then Dicky, and his parents, several years
ago at John Bapst Memorial High School in Bangor.  We were all
interested in ice hockey and they were instrumental in creating the
varsity ice hockey program that would start the next year.  Dicky and my
son Justin were often paired on defense that first year, and it was
quite a ride.  Dicky's parents Andy and Anne were key to the support and
successful building of that program (along with many others).

Then and in the years that followed, if you knew the Britt's, you knew
you had a friend and were in good company.

Richard was the type of person that could make anyone smile.  Be it his
wit or his smile or showing that he liked being with you, recognized you
when you think of yourself as a face in the crowd.  People respected him
and liked him.

Where Richard also excelled was in his work ethic.  Richard would always
have a good time, but was never afraid of work.  He never looked for
handouts and was always willing to give of himself.  Perhaps these are
some of the reasons coach Walsh kept him "with the team" as he went to
school at Husson College in Bangor

I read these few things one our intranet and thought I would share them
with you.  I never knew he had such a following.  I must say that this
brought a tear to my eye.  This really make you really think how lucky
we are.  Well I have a ton of work to do and I am not to productive
tonight.  Hope all is well with you and only 40 hours till break!!
Have a good one!!Charlie