ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Cathy Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 12:07:55 EST
BRAVO to Dan and Wayne for their support of Bangor Dodge and it's owner -
Philip McFarland.  If UMaine Athletics ends up losing the account over this
incident, it will prove much more than merely a financial loss (which - given
the chronic state of empty pockets up there will be severe enough!) it will
also negatively impact on the reputation of the University in the business
community across the state.  C'mon folks!  How long do YOU think UMaine
Athletics would continue to produce these winning programs we all love to
support if the corporate dollars weren't coming in?  I can tell you - NOT LONG
- so don't blame the administration for supporting Bangor Dodge's rules for
winning.  And this kid - who has acted so classy - Confratulations to his
parents for raising him with a solid value system.  We ALL would love to see
someone win that sucker, just like I would have loved to see many games won by
that one puck that was on the line, but the facts as reported are clear - he
didn't score.  To apply the logic that "the puck was ALMOST all the way in"
would have won us, and lost us, a few games over the years.

Phil is a decent and honorable human who does NOT deserve this villianization.
Shame on you who are doing that here so arrogantly.  Your attitude reflects a
cultural miasma of treating any successful business person as corrupt, and
therefore deserving of any crud that comes.  As one who has owned my own
business(s) all of my life, I can tell you the majority of us don't deserve
that bias.  Lose it.

Cathy Hart
Proud Volunteer for the Finest College Hockey Program in the Nation!