ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 23:47:19 -0500
The recent thread which began after the BU loss is irrelevant
finger-pointing, and spectactularly non-productive.  Some of you might not
like this, but here I go...

Shame on anyone for doubting the loyalty or devotion of persons in the
seats at Alfond on Saturday night (except perhaps those in the visitors
section - section I) who may, or may not have cheered when YOU wanted them
to, or left when it was, to any knowledgeable hockey fan, over in that game
after the 4-1 score.  None of you REALLY know how much of a fan these other
people are, do you ?

Consider that travelling 100+ miles, or shelling out thousands of
hard-earned dollars, constitutes perhaps even more of a commitment to the
program as screaming your lungs out after walking over from your dorm room.
Have some sympathy for an older person who leaves a couple of minutes early
to get to their car, which is parked a considerable distance from the rink,
because they don't want to battle crowds and parking around the Alfond is
so limited.  Are they less of a fan of the Black Bears ?

How about some of us who go to 3-4-5 games a year, even more, of Maine away
games, at sometimes unfriendly "away" rinks, and take our lumps from the
"home" fans ?  Are we better or worse fans than those who can get to the
Alfond ?  I was listening to each of the BU games on a Boston radio station
both nights.

I think it is horrendous that there is someone who is denying us the
oppportunity to listen to the Maine radio announcers of each game the team
plays, using RealAudio.  Scream at University bureaucrats !!

You want 5,500 bodies in the seats, 25 % screaming their lungs out, with
1,000 remaining at the end of a blowout (for either team), or would you
rather 1,000 in the seats, 100 % screaming their lungs out, for the entire
60 minutes of hockey ?  "Section O should just stay home" -- you really
want that ??   Respect anyone who comes out for the games.

Perhaps what I want to promote is the concept of "Fan Diversity".  That is,
everyone there is a fan:  someone even sitting quietly in their seats, and
wanting you to do the same so they can see the action.  Or, someone on
their feet for three periods, together with those around them, screaming
their lungs out.  They do not all act the same, but each deserves your
respect.

The PLAYERS win on the ice, the PLAYERS lose on the ice.  The fans are the
"seventh player".  Six young men on the ice in white or blue sweaters at
any time determine the final outcome.  OK ???  You do what you can in the
stands, but the men in unform win or lose the game on the ice.  Even Shawn
can only do so much.

Finally, anyone who knows me knows I scream pretty loud and often at Maine
games, home or away.  My efforts are more intense than with my Bruins
season tickets.  I screamed much louder my first year at the old Garden
than I do today in my 12th year of holding the tickets.  It takes a lot
more to get me excited after 400 + games than the first 40.

The same "occasional" enthusiasm, I would venture to say, goes for a good
number of Maine season ticket holders, some of whom have been to Alfond
ever since the first games at the "old" rink.  Cut them some slack.

This from someone who saw Game One whilst a student myself, taking the
longest walk on campus to games, all the way over from Aroostook Hall.   It
was damn cold walking in the dead of winter in -20 temperatures, then
waiting outside to get a seat...any seat.  I think then I could have earned
a pass on one of those nights for not cheering loudly, or leaving early for
the (many) blowouts in 1979+.

Thanks, all, for letting me vent.

Dan Doucette
UMaine 78 MPA 80