Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 10:40:07 -0600
When I say "leave quietly" I don't mean disappear. I mean do it with
subtlety and courtesy to others. If you want to let people know you're
leaving, then do so without personal attacks. If people are interested in
why you're leaving, they'll ask you.

and for a more detailed rant...

At 06:00 AM 6/3/99 -0700, Deron wrote:

>I care.  I'm sure others do as well.

As do I. Which is why I'm not going to give up on this list and the group
of people here simply because:
(a) I'm too lazy to delete
(b) I won't learn how to filter messages or make a "kill file"
(c) I don't like someone else's point of view
(d) I'm tired of two people bashing each other.

Especially considering this is the summertime, I really don't see what the
big deal is. I don't even bother with my Hockey-L mailbox more than once or
twice a week; that way it's all the easier to delete all the messages I
don't care about.

>It is the fact that people DON'T care that has contributed to the slow
>decline of HOCKEY-L.  Five years ago when I joined it was much
>different, but of course if you weren't here five years ago.. you don't
>care how it was back then.

I was here six years ago. I care.

Two years ago I began to talk about the decline of Hockey-L. Most of the
people here that "care" told me to shut it.

The FACT is that the key people involved with Hockey-L for so many years
went to USCHO and have had a very low profile here on Hockey-L, especially
in the summertime. In particular, Mike Machnik and Dave Hendrickson. I'm
not criticising them at all; they do a fantastic thing with USCHO and I
full understand the extreme  labor of love that it can be.

Longtime users like Sean Pickett didn't leave for USCHO or something else.
They left simply because they were tired of all the egos and attitudes on
this list, tired for getting killed for their opinions.

<Why do people talk about "the past" so much on this list anyway?

Because they're too lazy to start their own discussions? I don't know. I've
never had patience for people that whine about "how good it was back in the
old days."

How many people's parents and grandparents always talk about how much
better it was "in the past?" Or sports fans? Porn stars? (ref. Boogie Nights)

>Newbies are always saying to ignore the past, but
>when everyone is always talking about it it should tell you something.

Yeah, it tells me that all the newbies are sick and tired of hearing about
the past. In fact, I've known quite a few people in the last 2 years that
have joined and left this list because of hearing so many people whine
about "the way it used to be."

>John, and Scott are only two people in a trend that sees people with a
>lot to offer choose to spend their time elsewhere, or in other mediums
>such as USCHO or the other messageboards around the area.  Granted, the
>Internet has changed and the role of HOCKEY-L is different.  However,
>it is still driving people away.

Seeing people like Vicki Price relentlessly attacked and called a number of
names is what's driving people away.

People are afraid to post, and that's what it's come down to. Hockey-L
quickly became a small, closed culture that didn't want to allow other
people to come in.

When I first joined up I was excited beyond belief -- but stayed quiet for
a year or so, wanting to lurk and check things out. When I began to post, I
got more flames than anything else simply for asking questions.

One of my first questions had to do with ages. All I did was ask "why do
the WCHA and CCHA teams have players that are so much older?" I was given a
barrage of personal, harrassing email... some of which STILL resurfaces.

>The "hollier than thou" attitude here, isn't by those people who are
>leaving the list, but rather by people who don't care about the quality
>or the people on it.

This attitude is showed by all kinds of people.

All I'm saying is that once you start pointing fingers -- whether in a
discussion or in a "I'm leaving" speech -- you're coming off with an
attitude, namely one that sounds unwilling to listen to anyone else's
opinions or learn how to deal with them.

>Why do you suppose people like John and Scott post messages to the list
>when they leave?  Why not just leave, as Greenie suggests?  The answer
>is:  Because they care.  If they didn't, they'd just quitely leave and
>no one would notice.

See the very top of this message.

greenie