From:
Keith Kannenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith Kannenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 1998 11:40:40 -0500
Several people have wondered about the choice of teams for this event
(UNH, Maine, Colgate and RPI). On first look I'd have to agree, but there
may have been a good reason for the choices...

Greg Ambrose wrote a few days ago:
> My understanding is that two of the teams (UNH is one of them) will
> give up a home game for the pleasure of being in the Big Apple three
> days before Christmas.

If this is the case it leads me to believe that the MSG games were
already scheduled to be played at campus sites. Most teams probably
have the majority if their 98-99 opponents set by now (please correct
me if I'm wrong).  Switching the venue of scheduled games would seem
to be the easiest way to get participants at this point.

If the selection of teams was on the basis of previously scheduled
games it's easy to speculate why Cornell (for instance) wasn't
selected. There probably weren't any HE schools on the Big Red's
schedule for next year (aside tournaments) - not too unlikely since
there has only been one in the past two seasons (NU this past
November).

This is all pure speculation of course. Regardless, we'll have to wait
and see how well UNH, Maine, Colgate and RPI draw in NYC.

Keith Kannenberg