From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 1997 00:48:21 -0700
On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Brian D Helland wrote:

> With the Major Junior Rule continuing it's chokehold on the College
> Hockey talent pipeline and the NC$$'s continued lack of interest in
> loosening it, I think that College Hockey should look to the USHL to
> supply most of it's future talent base.

I have my doubts about asking a 12-team league to stock 40 Division I
teams, but the principle makes sense. A concerted effort should be made to
improve the level of play of all pre-college hockey, whether it be Junior
or High School. I think some of it will come as any increases in Minor
Hockey registrations come up through the system.

The USHL covers 1/4 to 1/3 of this. The same efforts Brian advises for the
USHL should also be made for the NAHL and the leagues in the East.

> support the USHL whenever they can.  If you're within driving distance, go to
> a game.

I did. Go Ice Sharks! :-)

The thing to bear in mind is that there is going to be a lag in terms of
US Junior growth. If more kids are playing at the Squirt and Pee Wee
levels now, they will take 4-6 years to filter up to Junior age. I would
actually like to know if Minor Hockey registrations are up in the US since
the concerted southwestward NHL expansion started.

See you later,
John

--
John Edwards                                      [log in to unmask]
  "A cynic is what an idealist calls a realist." - Sir Humphrey Appleby