From:
Paula Weston <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paula Weston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 1997 22:24:33 -0400
This is the message I received from Steven M. Bernhardt regarding my
postings on Hockey-L about Title IX .  His closing line is "See ya on the
battle field."

This saddens me.  I didn't make the issue political; the Federal Government
did.
I have never seen the Title IX issue--which, as we know, applies to
*everything* academic, not just college sports--as a "men vs. women" issue.
The terms that Mr. Bernhardt used in his email to me were not terms that I used.

I'll repeat what I've said before:  If men's and boys' athletics suffer
because of Title IX, I am not the problem.  Nor are the hundreds of
thousands of girls and women who desire--and deserve--equity.

Instead of flaming women like me (i.e., women who aren't afraid to stand up
to people who whine about Title IX compliance), contact the athletic
directors who make the decisions about which sports to fund, and which to cut.

Paula C. Weston
Girl Reporter