From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 10:13:38 -0400
The concept behind Title IX is that we move towards equity.  That means
all resources, including scholarships should be used so that it reflects
the porportionality of the overall student population.

A good way to see how a school is doing is to take a look at the athletic
budgets for each sport on October 1st.  That somewhat recent addition
requires schools to make those figures public every year.  In the past I
have sometimes seen what I thought was great strides forward, and then on
October 1st I have been rudely awakened to the fact that the money is
still 2 to 1 for the men.  Women's programs are growing, but so are men's.

From reading various reactions to the complaint against the 25 schools
this week, I see a lot of people upset because they are trying to come
into compliance and feel the complaint does not reflect all their hard
work.  Some schools have worked out plans with the Office of Civil Rights
and are in the process of being in line with Title IX.  The point is that
this is not something that will happen overnight.  What is needed is that
a school is moving forward and making more opportunities available to
women.  Gradually that means more ice time, prime time ice time, money for
travel, recruiting, coaching (both of which lag far behind what men get)
and in the end two programs that have equal resources.  From what I see,
some schools are doing a heck of a job to move on Title IX.  Many others
need a push as old attitudes live on.

As to American football, yes it is largely out of control.  The size of
the squads and the number of scholarships seems rather high.  Almost all
schools loose money on it, as they do on most sports.  It is a major
problem for athletic departments because it makes gender equity much
harder to realize.  That is why football coaches have tried to have gender
redefined as: men, women and football players!!!  It is great when a few
of the programs that do make money use that for their other sports, but
that is a rare case.

Title IX is not about killing off men's teams.  It is about making changes
and seeing that women have a level playing surface.

/
 good shooting
 hungerf