From:
John Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 1995 21:09:46 -0500
Dick Tuthill raised some issues regarding Title IX:

As a sports managment master's student at Ohio State, Title IX is one of
the first issues we study. In the scenario you presented (complete
compliance, then the addition of both men's and women's hockey), you would
definitely have to add the same number of scholarships to be in compliance.

As far as the band situation goes, the Office of Civil Rights is charged
with investigating Title IX violations. (Now of course, there isn't a
school in the country that is in compliance - many are on their way,
though.) When OCR investigates, it looks at a number of factors, including
number of scholarships, meals, transportation, salary of coaches,
equipment, number of coaches, trips and lodging, etc. So if the band plays
at only men's athletic events, you would probably be found in violation of
Title IX.

Also, it's not necessarily the NCAA that is dictating that schools have pep
bands at both men's and women's athletic events. They may indeed be
requiring it, but Title IX and its enforcement by OCR is the force behind
that.

Would you care to explain why that sets a very serious precedent? I'd like
to hear your thoughts on this topic. (and let's try to keep it as it
applies to hockey so we don't get hollered at by the moderator.)

Dr. Roth's comments regarding number of scholarships, facilities, etc.,
were right on the money. Those are things that OCR looks at, not just 10
men's sports vs. 10 women's sports.

And as Roger Spurgeon said, this limits the number of men's teams that can
become varsity level. It's an unfortunate side effect of Title IX. We
shouldn't limit opportunities to anyone. But as for the comment that
football and basketball pay for everything else, I'd challenge the validity
of that statement. While that's certainly true for a number of schools,
there are hundreds more that lose money every year on those sports.

John Patterson

P.S. - some of this stuff in this post is not explained in full detail. If
this list agrees that a *complete* explanation of Title IX is needed, I
will write it out. Let me know - the explanation will be pretty long - it's
a pretty complicated issue.