From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 1995 15:09:33 -0400
Craig Cheslog posted to hockey3:
>BOWDOIN COLLEGE SPORTS RELEASE
>Date: April 7, 1995
>
>               BOWDOIN COLLEGE'S CHARLIE GAFFNEY NAMED
>              AHCA COLLEGE DIVISION PLAYER OF THE YEAR
>
>       BRUNSWICK, Maine -- Bowdoin College's Charlie Gaffney '95 (Warwick,
>R.I.) has been named the 1995 College Division Player of the Year by the
>American Hockey Coaches Association (AHCA).
>
>       The award, according to AHCA Executive Director Joe Bertagna, is
>"the Division II-III equivalent of the Hobey Baker Award." The Hobey Baker
>Award is presented annually to the top Division I men's ice hockey player
>in the country.

Count me among those who would like to see a REAL DivII-III Hobey
award established again (there used to be one).  I wish I knew why
they got rid of it in the first place.  At least as recently as 1988,
one was awarded (or two - Merrimack's Jim Vesey was the East winner
and Mankato's Ken Hilgert was the West winner).

Did the Decathlon Club simply wish not to sponsor an award for the
best DivII-III player?  I would be disappointed to hear if that were
the case.

Congratulations to Charlie Gaffney and Bowdoin.