From:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Apr 1997 21:00:38 -0500
Tonight the Gophers held their annual banquet and this evening's
festivities took alot less time than last year when we had 10 seniors

First the awards:

Mike Crupi Most Determined Player          Dan Hendrickson, senior
Elwin "Doc" Romnes Leadership/Sportsmanship    Casey Hankinson, junior
Dr V George Nagobads Unsung Hero           Brian La Fleur, senior
Frank Pond Rookie of the Year              Dave Spehar, freshman
John Mayasich Outstanding Student-Athlete      Brian La Fleur
John Mariucci Most Valuable Player         Mike Crowley, junior

Of the four seniors, two cried and two didn't. Dan Hendrickson gave the
most upbeat speech I've ever seen a player give as a senior. Boy was he
surprised that he hadn't signed the traditional Minnesota Hockey banner
that every year the freshman sign after the banquet is over.

It was great to see the Mac Naughton Cup up front and there was a man
going around taking ring sizes from the players to order their
WCHA Champions rings.

It was a pretty mellow affair considering the last few banquets, but
it does close the season for the Gophers.

As people left the room, people were wishing each other a good summer.
How very odd, that on this the day of the banquet it hardly felt like
spring....being around 20 degrees, snowing with a strong west wind,
dropping the wind chill below zero...that we should even be mentioning
summer. How many days till the season starts again?

-Carol
GO GO Gophers!!!