From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 6 Apr 1997 13:19:56 -0600
here's some stuff that i found interesting enough to write down while
at the tournament.  They are in no particular order

cdash
Quotes....

Un-named WCHA official, "The ice is better than Cincinnati and the
dressing rooms are nicer than at Air Force

"Judd Lambert Should have been holding up a sign that said 'Hi Mom,
Send Defense' " at the hockey-l gathering between periods

"This game is not over" said Part time Merrimack College color
broadcaster Mike Machnik after the 1st period of the CC game.  Two
years earlier he had prognosticated the Maine Michigan triple overtime
semi final in Providence as being over owing to a two goal deficit
after the first period.

"Frank, Keep your Day Job," said to a midwestern sportscaster who mis
- predicted both semis.

"I can't believe your guys got here"  - Ohio state fan to a CC parent
"What part can't you believe" - parent's response

Red Berenson "this is more exciting than scoring 6 goals in a game" as
to being at the tournament

Exchange in press box...
"Is that all the people from North Dakota?" referring to the 500 seat
block crammed with fans and cheerleaders    ---   "No, they have
people from South Dakota augmenting the crowd."

"The seating was so bad, we left after the first period to go to a bar
and see the game."  Bill Riley of the 1948 Dartmouth Team reminiscing
about hockey in the old days as part of the 50th anniversary
festivities.

Wally Grant Michigan '48 "Once the Broadmoor stopped sponsoring the
tournament, the championship would have gone by the wayside if the
NCAA hadn't taken it over."

"Our goal was to go to the Broadmoor"  -  Bill Cleary, who played for
the 1955 Harvard team in the NCAA championships at the Broadmoor.  He
later coached Harvard to a National Championship

"The incentive was to get back to the Broadmoor" - John Matcheffs who
played for the 1951 and 1953 Michigan team.  He later coached at CC
and Air Force.

" I coached CC for 5 years in the WCHA and at USAFA for 15 years.
Denver was strong then under Murray Armstrong.  DU scored 3 goals on
us in 76 seconds, but we came back to win 9-8." - John Matcheffs

"We (Air Force) beat CC 1-0 at the Broadmoor. Then with 3:50 left in
the game (at the academy) we were down 6-2.  I pulled the goalie and
we won 7-6 in overtime." - John Matcheffs

"Who is Sioux?  Why have you misspelled her name? Where do you want
her to go?"  a clueless native in response to all the "go Sioux"
plackards.

Before the championship game, Dean Blais told his players, "Don't
expect a Vince Lombardi Speech, you won't get it from me."

"The last line change has been the difference between our winning and
losing," said Blais.  "[In the semi] we were able to nullify [Brian]
Swanson's line with the Calder Line.  The final change was also
valuable in the WCHA tournament and against Cornell in the regionals."

"They did the same thing as in December.  They got goal mouth goals.
We couldn't stop them from doing what they wanted to do."  Jack
Parker on North Dakota

An obviously elated Dave Hoogsteen described the end of the period
goal almost jocularly as "I got one of the many garbage goals I get."

When asked if he was worried about his players being rattled, Dean
Blais quipped, "I was more worried about me getting rattled."

When parrying a question directed at any of his players, an obviously
elated coach Parker made light of center Billy Pierce's major penalty
by quipping, "Let Billy answer this, he's more rested."

         charlie shub   University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
[log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]
 (719) 262-3492      (fax) 262-3369          http://www.cs.uccs.edu/~cdash