From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 12:18:00 EST
A few more things to add to an already boring thread.

While in Milwaukee, Charlie Shub mentioned to me that Coach
Berenson didn't really praise CC after the victory in Cincinnati.
This really struck me, because Coach Berenson really lauded
CC, Coach Lucia and the Tiger players back in Ann Arbor.  In
fact, he immediately tabbed CC and Michigan as two of the
favorites to be in Milwaukee a year later.  He spoke very highly
and quite frequently of CC's fine program.  I was never aware
that the CC folks didn't know this.  Obviously, I can't yet say the
same for this season.  I *assume* Coach Berenson will point
out all of the things BU did well at his radio show tonight.  I *assume*
he'll speak highly of the Terriers and the Sioux both tonight (the
final show for 1996-97) and at the UM banquet.  It never really
occurred to me that others outside of UM wouldn't hear these
remarks.  I doubt that this is a ploy of Coach Berenson's, to only
praise the opposition when they're not within listening distance,
but this appears to be what is happening.  Fwiw...I for one was
VERY impressed with BU's performance on Thursday and I'll
apologize as an ardent UM fan if BU fans feel that UM didn't
give them their due.  The Wolverines are focusing on being
down on themselves right now, and I'm sure that to a man they
were impressed with the Terrier's play.  I guess UM is guilty of
not saying the right things at the right time.  Fwiw II...Brendan
Morrison commented on BU's great game during his Hobey
acceptance.

Back to "best" teams...I'd rather win the NCAA title than be the
best team.  I think that says it all.

Brian Morris writes...
>8. Choke of the tourney award goes to the replay screen on the scoreboard.
>After the ESPN2 feed showed the stick-to-the-face from the Michigan player
>(Morrison?) eliciting major groans from the audience, the management
>discontinued all replays on penalties and controversial plays, through the
>championship game.

That was Warren Luhning with the slash (looked to be upper body,
not face) on the BU player (Johnson?).  Should have been a penalty,
but wasn't.  And, I agree with Brian that we should have gotten more
replays.  We never got to see Michigan's disallowed goal in the
third...which was a good call.

From Stephen Peacock ([log in to unmask])
>Again, to the team, congratulations on a great season.  And to the
>fans, TOO BAD!  I can't wait until Yost next year to feed you guys

Steve...how's the weather in Traverse City?  I'm hoping to get up
there soon.  As for next year, I usually eat after the games, but as
long as your serving...

Man...I have to admit that part of me enjoys the fact that other folks
are SO jealous of Michigan that the Wolverines losing (not necessarily
to their team) makes their entire season.

John Haeussler ([log in to unmask])
sometimes the best team doesn't win