From:
"Greg R. Berge" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg R. Berge
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 1997 02:55:38 -0400
> > Now, will someone *please* wake the Flyers up so we can have hockey for
an
> > extra week...?

Eeyore chest-beat (quite reasonably, in terms of prediction):

> your Flyers are dead.  The Wings killed Colorado, and we'll
> bury you, too.  (I can talk pretty big when my team is up 3-0)

Sorry, but as a lifetime Islander fan I just couldn't allow myself to be
identified erroneously as a Flyer fan.  My interest lies in prolonging the
season, not in Philly winning. Personally, I will almost always take an
Original Six team to win unless either the Isles or a Cornell alum is
involved.  Afraid this generosity does not extend to John LeClair.  :-)

Obligatory college hockey content:  sorry, fourth to last word in the last
paragraph was it.  Hey, it's summer, one more delete keystroke is probably
not going to give anyone CTS.

Other arguments and analysis appreciated.  Well, ok, the tone is pretty
in-your-face, but hey allowances have to be made in the heat of a Cup
final.  I have about a trillion little nits to pick about the specifics,
the methodology, etc., and I actually just this once have credentials
(graduate degree in Sociology and statistical methodology from Stanford,
1988), but the bottom line is that some of the arguments in the studies
cited can be intepreted as attempts at critical tests of the hypothesis
that alum giving is affected by success, so heck at least it's a start.

Lots of keystrokes and thank you for taking the time, J. Michael.  Honestly
appreciated from someone who always advocates less heat and more light on
hockey-l.   This is getting father and farther afield from Title IX, but...
well, we are one game from being hockeyless and hell I just can't face
it...

- Greg