From:
"Tuschen, Terry" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tuschen, Terry
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 1997 08:58:40 -0500
I have to admit that I haven't read a lot about the new conference, so
I don't have any comment.  But as to the format of the NCAA
tournament, I am not sure what to think.

It seems (IMO of course-no flames please).....wait, let me say right
off the bat that I like the NCAA Regional format.  It has that
tournament atmosphere about it.  But I don't think that the NC$$
promotes it very well.  In fact, by their not offering press passes to
"online services" they are going out of there way to not promote it.

It is difficult to generate the growing support of the "possible fan"
out there, the fan who will like college hockey if given the
opportunity to see it at a tournament level of play, without the NCAA
pushing or helping it along.

For example, during the regionals this year, on Saturday afternoon,
both ESPN and ESPN2 were showing NCAA women's basketball.  Now if they
are going to do that, why couldn't the NCAA say to the deuce that they
would like some coverage of the NCAA tournament?  They shove women's
basketball down our throat, yet do nothing to assist another revenue
producing sport.  It makes no sense.

Do not get me wrong, I have nothing against women's basketball at all,
or the fact that it is getting coverage.  I would just like to see the
NCAA either push the hockey regional format on a national network  (in
addition to the other regional networks coverage) or maybe go back to
the on-campus quarterfinals and offer more games for the fans who
really love the sport.  (Then maybe Michigan would get beat in a 2-out
of-3 format :-) )

Open for discussion...

Terry