From:
Paula Weston <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paula Weston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 07:58:57 -0400
At 05:00 AM 4/7/97 -0400, Mark Lewin wrote:
>Paula, you took the bantering about the new D1 league too seriously. I made
>a tongue-in-cheek suggestion (as opposed to my usual foot in mouth statements)
>in good fun as well as a good time thread to while away the off-season. Reading
>back over like comments, I don't see anything mean spirited about it, just good
>natured kidding. I think all college hockey fans welcome the addition of
another
>league to our ranks. Its good for college hockey and by extension, its good
>for all
>us fans.

Mark,

Perhaps you're right.  I certainly don't want to be accused of lack of sense
of humor.  All right; perhaps the comments are not mean-spirited.  And I
probably should have acknowledged in my original post that many people are
"naming" the alleged new conference with tongues in cheek.

However, I think there is a good deal of dismissiveness underlying these
comments.  There's a certain amount of thinking that any new conference
would just not be as good as existing conferences, that any D-I team that
plays for a new conference would not be as good as teams currently aligned
with conferences.  It's the underlying current of skepticism bordering on
arrogance that accompanies some of the postings that I'm reacting to.

paula

Paula C. Weston
Girl Reporter
CCHA Correspondent for U.S. College Hockey Online (USCHO)
http://www.uscollegehockey.com