From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 1997 14:09:28 -0700
On Sat, 5 Apr 1997, Dave Erickson wrote:

> As fully expected, local media coverage was virtually nonexistent for this
> inaugural event --

Just for the record, the game was cablecast nationally in Canada on TSN.

> In spite of this first year's dismal coverage, I hope the concept is not
> abandoned, and that given time it will merit the kind of attention it
> deserves.  For this year, at least, Canada has reinforced their perennial
> claim to be the breeding ground of superior talent; maybe at the same time
> they successfully demonstrated that the CIAU is in fact comparable to the
> NCAA, at least on an "all-star" basis...???
>
> Congratulations, Canada!  "Wait 'til next year!"

Thanks, and I'll add that it was a very competitive game, even with some
pushing and shoving.  What may have started out with an exhibition
mentality turned into something both sides cared about.

One difference between the CIAU and the NC$$ is that the Canadian schools
do not offer athletic scholarships.  Those kids are there totally, not
primarily (or incidentally in the case of some in the US) for the
education.  My wife teaches in the business faculty of the U of Alberta
(attended by Paul Strand who scored in the game as well as Mike Jickling).
She reports that the hockey players have been some of her best students.

Many of the CIAU players did participate in tier one juniors which of
course would disqualify them from the NC$$ schools.  One complaint on the
Canadian broadcasts was the NHL scouts tend to ignore the CIAU players
because they are a bit older.

Arthur Berman [log in to unmask]
GO CANADIAN WOMEN THE WORLDS!!!