From:
"Klein, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Klein, Steve
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 13:08:00 -0500
No. 1:
Am I the only person on the list who respects Jack Parker (and I do) for
being smart enough to look at game film from the only team (Michigan State)
to beat Michigan twice this season and use what he learned in devising a
gameplan for BU and the Wolverines (certainly not Wolves, eh John?).
Now I'm not saying that Jackie isn't smart enough to figure out that a
physical game, combined with using a neutral zone trap, was about the only
way to stop Michigan.
But anyone coaching against Michigan only had to look at the results from
this past season to know where to look for a gameplan.
To declare Parker a genius for inventing the defense is just a bit much, as
some of the historians on the list can attest.
Again, that's not to say that Parker isn't a damn fine coach and in a class
of whomever each of you do consider a genius.
No. 2:
I think North Dakota would have done quite well in a series of games against
Michigan this season.
No. 3:
Can we agree that the majority of Michigan fans on this list are among the
best college hockey fans there are? I can understand how insulted they feel
for taking grief for all the bad Michigan fans. Like all programs, the bad
fans always ruin things for the good ones.
No. 4:
I like what Jack Parker said about it being an upset in his mind anytime BU
loses. Considering the talent, the coach and the record over time, that's a
fair statement.
No. 5:
I like what Red Berenson said and Brendon Morrison repeated about the best
team losing. If everyone can step back and consider the full context of the
season and the past three seasons, it's a fair assessment. Arrogant? Well,
you know what they say about Michigan (especially around East Lansing :),
but I'm not going there. Red, like Jack Parker and all the great coaches,
believes in his team. And well he should have. This Michigan team has given
us all a lot of pleasure these past few seasons.
No. 6:
North Dakota won -- and deserved to win. I think that's called a truism.

Steve Klein