From:
Maria Maddaloni <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 12:38:15 -0500

In a message dated 97-03-31 11:05:28 EST, David Morganstern wrote:

> Hockey East semi final was at the Fleet Center - 17K plus for hockey, not
> exactly small.  If you are referring to the Northeastern series, BU was on
> spring break.  As for the locals, there are a few more ways for them to
> entertain themselves on a Saturday night in Boston than there are in Orono.

**Not only was it spring break, but the series was televised on NESN.  Let's
not forget that BU hockey is competing with several other college and pro
sports in this area for an audience, analogous to the situation with the
Providence Bruins and PC hockey.

> I would be willing to bet that more BU fans will show for a preseason game
> in Chicago than Maine fans, simply because there have got to be more BU
> Alums living in the area than there are Maine alums.  I don't see too many
> students from either school making the trip.  As a matter of fact, even
> though the games might be great, I have to wonder how well this tourney
> will do considering the timing and location.  I hope they advertise big
> time out there.  I think the concept is a good one, I hope it works.

**Bob's implying that more Maine fans would fly to Chicago than BU fans.
 (Although, you'll have to define what "best fans from Hockey East" means
:->.)  I agree with Dave-- it depends how and where it is promoted.  I went
to the US Hockey Hall of Fame game in Minneapolis last October, but only
because I happened to be in the Twin Cities that weekend.   Even though BU
was playing, the game was not promoted in Boston, and BU fans were few and
far between.

***Congrats to the Fighting Sioux for a great game on Saturday.  I'm a
scarlet-eyed BU fan today, but mighty proud to see the Terriers get as far as
they did!

-- Maria