From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 23:31:09 -0500
Thought HOCKEY-L people, especially the strong Clarkson contingent, would
like to know that while Brendan Morrison won the Hobey, Chris Drury was the
runner-up, and not Todd White, according to Paula C. Weston's article on USCHO.

It had been suggested by some on HOCKEY-L that it was a two horse race
between Morrison and White, but as I said in a post earlier I believed Chris
Drury would gain significant support and did indeed.

Drury gained a lot of votes for many reasons.  First and foremost, he had a
terrific season and carried BU for most, if not all of the year.  BU has not
won a single game this year UNLESS Drury scores at least one point.

Drury also had the benefit of NESN television coverage, and being in the
Boston market allowing for more media coverage than perhaps Todd White received.

Without having seen White as much as Drury, it isn't my place to compare
worth.  Both had great seasons and are great players, and both were the
leaders on their conference winning teams.  The fact that neither one the
Hobey, or that Drury was the runner-up shouldn't take anything away from
what they've done.

At this level, it is hard to seperate the players.  I felt earlier, and
still do, that Morrison deserved the award, and I'm happy for him and the
whole Michigan senior class that had such a great career.

---
Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask])