From:
Chuck Cliff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 1996 16:08:34 -0500
In a message dated 96-12-11 20:15:54 EST, [log in to unmask] (Mike Machnik)
writes:

<<
 It's also worth remembering that one day not so long ago, the CCHA was in
 the same boat.  It consisted of teams that many people thought were of a
 lower caliber than the ECAC and WCHA.  But it gradually improved and gained
 respect.  The same thing could happen here.

As someone that was around in the early CCHA days I am glad Mike pointed this
out. I think a new conference is just what D1 hockey needs if it is going to
grow. Some schools are not able to dive right in and play at the top level. A
conference that starts at a slightly lower level of play can be just what's
needed for some programs to improve. I also think that an automatic bid for
the conference would be very helpful, something along the lines of the old
independent berth. Who knows maybe Holy Cross or Quinnipiac will win an NCAA
 title someday. The thought of Lake Superior ever winning an NCAA title
seemed an impossible dream in 1975.

Chuck Cliff