From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 1995 17:14:13 EST
In today's Bangor Daily News (with permission)..

Ferraro twins seek Ranger forward slots
Sixteen former UM Bears at NHL camps
By Larry Mahoney
of the NEWS Staff

They are the proud new owners of New York Ranger contracts, something
they didn't have at this time last year.

The Ferraro twins, Peter and Chris, recently signed three-year deals
with the Rangers.

The twins are two of 16 former University of Maine players fighting
for National Hockey League jobs at training camps across North
America.  They are two of four ex-Bears at Ranger training camp in
Burlington, Vt., along with Jean-Yves Roy and Andy Silverman.

Meanwhile, Garth Snow will begin a new chapter in his pro career as he
was traded to Philadelphia by Quebec for third- and sixth-round draft
picks in 1996.  He will be joined in camp by former Bear teammate Jim
Montgomery.

And first-year pro Chris Imes, Maine's Hobey Baker Award finalist a
year ago, is with the San Jose Sharks.

Paul Kariya's 18 goals led all NHL rookies a year ago and he's looking
for an even more productive season with Anaheim.

The Ferraro twins spurned the Rangers and signed with the Atlanta
Knights of the International Hockey League a year ago.  However, they
eventually joined the Rangers' AHL affiliate in Binghamton and
finished out the season with Binghamton.

"It's great to be in the Ranger organization," said Chris Ferraro.
"It's a totally different feeling.  We have something to work for. The
Rangers were real classy.  They basically gave us another shot at it."

The Ferraros were pleased with their two-way contracts but wouldn't
divulge the terms.  A two-way contract pays one wage for the NHL and a
lower wage for the minors.

"I'm just happy to be part of this organization.  It doesn't matter if
it's for one-way money or if we play in the minors," said Peter
Ferraro.

Making the NHL roster won't be easy because the Rangers not only have
veterans like Mark Messier, Adam Graves and Pat Verbeek, they've also
added long-time NHLers Luc Robitaille and Ray Ferraro (no relation).

"With the deals we've made and with so many players on one-way
contracts, it's going to be extremely difficult for them to make it,"
said Ranger assistant coach Dick Todd.  "Their forte is their speed
and scoring abilities.  They dart to the holes and have a good feel
for the game in the offensive zone.  Chris scored three times in an
intrasquad scrimmage today and Jean-Yves scored early in camp.  They
are close to the top in scoring."

Todd said the next step will be to earn playing time in exhibition
games.

"Once they reach that step, they'll have another chance to prove
themselves,"  said Todd.

He said they will have to prove they can handle the physical play
along the boards and in front of the net.  All three are in the
5-foot-10, 180-190 pound range.

"We just want to make a good impression and show the coaching staff we
can help their organization," said Peter Ferraro.  "Hopefully, we'll
create some commotion and score some goals.  It's great experience to
be in camp with players like Messier and Graves."

"We're going to do our best and see where it takes us," said Chris
Ferraro.

Roy has compiled back-to-back 41-goal seasons in Binghamton and said,
"I've proven what I've had to prove in the AHL.  It's time to move on
to the next level.  The Rangers are the toughest lineup to crack in
the NHL but I feel I have a really good chance this year.  If I keep
playing the way I've been playing, it'll be hard for them to send me
to Binghamton."

He added that he'd like to get traded if he doesn't make the Ranger
roster.

(wts .. end of the article proper.  This was followed by a table of 16
working for the NHL and their stats last year.  I'll leave it for
someone else to enter that table!  But the names are Bob Beers, Keith
Carney, Bob Corkum, Chris Ferraro, Peter Ferraro, Chris Imes, Paul
Kariya, Matt Martin, Jim Montgomery, Scott Pellerin, Jean-Yves Roy, Any
Silverman, Pat Tardif, Eric Weinrich, Mike Dunham and Garth Snow).

Yours in College Hockey,
Wayne Smith                    [log in to unmask]
Co-owner of the college hockey lists at U Maine System