Sender:
From:
"McDonald, Jack A.D." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 1998 09:59:00 -0400
To: Hockey3 <[log in to unmask]>
Welcome to the QCSportsNet, Quinnipiac College Department of Athletics &
Recreation's official on-line network. The QCSportsNet features up-to-date
scores, information and press releases of our teams, coaches and programs.
For additional up-to-date information on Quinnipiac College
visit our web site at http://www.quinnipiac.edu

Quinnipiac College Sports Information Office
203-281-8625, FAX 203-281-8716, www.quinnipiac.edu

3rd Annual Quinnipiac Cup Marks First-Ever MAAC Hockey League Game
 - Tournament Moves to Yale s Ingalls Rink this October -

August 7
Hamden, Conn. - The 3rd Annual Quinnipiac Cup Hockey Tournament will
feature the first-ever Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) Ice
Hockey League game as host Quinnipiac will face off against Iona in the
tourney opener at Yale s Ingalls Rink at 5:00pm on Friday, October 23.
Intrastate MAAC rival Fairfield and future league foe Bentley will
battle in the second game at 8:00pm.  The Quinnipiac Cup championship
and consolation games will be held on Saturday, October 24, at 7:00pm
and 4:00pm, respectively.
 The Quinnipiac Cup, which had been played at the New Haven Coliseum in
its first two years, will relocate to historic Ingalls Rink.  The
smaller venue will provide a more intimate atmosphere for the
tournament, which has drawn approximately 2,000 fans in each of its
first two years.
 "We are very pleased that Yale Athletic Director Tom Beckett and Hockey
Coach Tim Taylor have agreed to have the 3rd Annual Quinnipiac Cup be
played at Ingalls Rink," said Quinnipiac Director of Athletics and
Recreation Jack McDonald.  "Our new dates and site will feature the MAAC
Hockey League s first-ever game [Quinnipiac vs Iona] and our new weekend
dates will make the Quinnipiac Cup one of New Haven s premier family
sporting attractions."

 The Quinnipiac Cup, originally modeled after the Beanpot, Boston s
famed college hockey tournament, is geared toward lifting Connecticut
hockey to a higher level in the region.  The First Annual Quinnipiac Cup
in 1997 attracted over 2,000 fans over the course of the two-day event.
The tournament, held over Christmas weekend, was hailed as a success by
organizers, media and fans.  The crowds represented record attendance
figures for Braves  hockey games.  UConn won the inaugural title with a
5-0 victory over Quinnipiac, while Fairfield fell to Worcester State in
the consolation.
 The Second Annual Quinnipiac Cup, which was held on consecutive
Wednesdays last January and February, suffered scheduling problems which
forced the dates to change from Christmas weekend.  The tournament also
endured a last-minute change in participants but drew almost 2,000 fans
as the Braves won the title with a 7-4 victory over Fairfield.  Holy
Cross downed Iona in the consolation as the four teams provided a
preview of the upcoming MAAC schedule.  The tournament also marked the
first live radio coverage of Quinnipiac ice hockey games as AM 1220 WQUN
broadcast the opening round and final.

 The eight-team MAAC Ice Hockey League, which will become the nation s
fifth Division I men s ice hockey conference, will play its inaugural
season this year.  The MAAC Ice Hockey League features four Connecticut
institutions (Quinnipiac, Fairfield, University of Connecticut and
Sacred Heart) as well as four additional representatives from the
Northeast (Holy Cross, Iona, Canisius and American International).
Bentley and Mercyhurst have also committed to join the league in
1999-2000.

3rd Annual Quinnipiac Cup Schedule - at Ingalls Rink

Friday, October 23, 1998
5:00pm - Quinnipiac vs Iona
8:00pm - Bentley vs Fairfield

Saturday, October 24, 1998
4:00pm - Consolation Game
7:00pm - Championship Game

Information on the Quinnipiac Cup is available via the internet at:
http:\\www.quinnipiac.edu\QCup.html

 -Q Sports-