Sender:
From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 May 1997 16:46:45 -0400
To: Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
At 04:20 PM 5/27/97 -0400, Paul Gentile wrote:
>Bad move, Shawn Walsh! This kid could be a serious detrement to moral.
>A gamble I wouldn't take. Shawn, you aren't trying to piss-off Jack
>Parker, are you? Coach Parker is the type of guy I imagine would like to
>see Brendan Walsh do well despite their differences ... so not much of a
>chance there.

It isn't really a gamble if Brendan Walsh is walking on at Maine and not
being given a scholarship.

When the story broke Shawn Walsh was not allowed by rule to comment on
Brendan Walsh.  Couple that with the fact Maine has already inked several
players to letters of intent and they have only 14 scholarships to give,
indicates to me that Brendan is walking on at Maine and must earn his way
on the team at least initially.

If that is the case, then it isn't much of a gamble because either he earns
a spot and cleans up his act or he doesn't and Maine loses nothing in the
deal (in fact they gain his out-of-state tuition money! :-)

>Well, maybe this kid has grown up a bit. I think Walsh is one of the
>nastiest players in the nation ... something I haven't found to be common
>in Maine players. He's certainly talented and feisty ... he'd make a good
>addition to UNH.

You are right in that his "style" does not fit with Maine's style (Maine
has the least penalty minutes in HE last year).  But one has to believe
that Shawn Walsh isn't going to play Brendan if he doesn't follow
directions.  He's benched star players before for less.

>Now does the NCAA look more favorably on a transfer player who has
>been removed from his school's roster as opposed to a player the school
>may want to keep (aka Lovell)?

I can't see what kind of case Brendan has for appealing his transfer year,
but I guess we'll find out.

I don't understand the Lovell comparison here.  Lovell was allowed to
transfer without penalty because Maine was banned from the NCAA Tournament,
however his academics were so low that he was not academically eligible at
UMass so he elected to take his red-shirt season.

---
Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask])