Sender:
From:
MR WILLIAM C MACK KA2LED <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 1997 08:34:51 -0500
     In reference to John Whelan's suggestions of moving away from a
single-elimination format to other systems.  I don't agree with such a
change.  Part of being a "champion" is being ready to play-  every game
(John, as a Cornell alum, you must know of the 1969-70 Cornell team.  The
greatest intrigue surrounding their accomplishment is that they came to
play EVERY GAME.  That is what truly made them the greatest team ever (even
though other teams have won more games)).   In the current NCAA tournament
format, a team has to be "ready" for only 3 or 4 games.  If they cannot do
that, then they aren't champions (in the truest sense of the word).
     I have to admit that another side of me favors the multi-game format
because, from a selfish standpoint, it would provide more college hockey
for we fans to enjoy.       -=>Bill<=-