Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 12:32:16 EST
It seems to me that in the five years since my retirement as a college
hockey father there has been a tremendous upheaval in college hockey- primarily
the decline of the ECAC. It seems like RPI, Union, Yale etc can expect no gimmes
 when they play an Atlantic or CHA team. It is amazing how well Qunnipiac has
 done with so little (no tradition, no real academic cache. little buzz, and
unremarkable facilities). I think it is time for the non-Ivies to question
the  wisdom of staying in a league that reflects the philosophy of the Ivies who
have  a big leg up recruiting against the non-Ivies (anyone who wonders about
the  integrity of the admissions for athletes in the Ivies should read "The
Chosen"  (not the Potok novel of the same name) and you will find out that
football and  hockey recruits are given a huge preference to the consternation of
the  faculties and purists at Yale, Harvard and Princeton. I would assume the
aid  packages are also very favorable. Just something to ponder.

It is disappointing that the growth of college hockey has stagnated and  that
more programs are not being added. Growth at the youth level has been
tremendous and we have twice as many high schools playing hockey in NJ than we  did
just ten years ago.

Happy new year to all. To all who wrote me while my son was in Iraq- thank
you. He is back and safe and sound thank G-d.