From:
David Morgenstern <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 09:01:01 -0400
WOW!  What a great game.  Of course, I liked it a little better being a BU
fan, but that was a great hockey game.  Even though BU emphasized defense,
this wasn't the typical Florida-New Jersey tractor pull.  I thought the
action was fast paced with plenty of heavy hitting, many good scoring
chances, great goaltending and of course, the result I wanted.

First off, I think Michel Larocque has earned his spot on the all tourney
team, unless the UND goalie singlehandedly wins the game on Saturday.  I
only say that because Larocque was even better than he has been the last
month, and from the little I saw of the UND-CC game, it seemed like the UND
goalie (sorry, I don't know his name) didn't really have to do all that
much.  Anyway. Larocque is certainly challenging Drury as the MVP of this
BU team.  While Drury carried the team the first half of the season,
Larocque has led the way the end of the season.

I think the obvious key to this game was one stat.  Mich, 0-5 on the PP
including a major, and BU 1-2.  It is pretty tough to win when you get
nothing on 15 minutes of PPs and when you are minus 1 on special teams with
an 11 minute advantage.

Now my question, when did the use of replay for penalties start?  Is that
something only used in the tourney?  Or, is it just for the purpose of
assesing penalties on dangerous plays?  I happen to think it is a good idea
to use the replay when the ref wants help, but I think the person doing the
reviewing on the replay (if they can't let the ref himself do it) should be
someone that is usually an on ice ref.  I don't think they should do what
the NHL does.  They hire some local guy to do the reviewing (not in the
playoffs) and it leads to a lot of controversy.  Is the reviewer someone
that has an idea of what it is like to be on the ice in a big game?  And
finally, how do all three people on the ice miss Shane Johnson getting a
stick in the throat (or was it face, couldn't tell from tv but I figured
neck since that is unprotected and he was in obvious pain), and why didn't
they look at the replay.  I think that was every bit as vicious as Pierce's
check, which by the way had me screaming at the tv at how big a moron he
was for throwing that hit.

Which leads me to my other thought that when BU went down on that major I
figured their only shot in this game was to make it to the intermission
where I was hoping they would get one of those emotional, "don't let this
be my last game" speeches from Pierce.  I don't know if that happened or
not, but you had to think when they killed the major that they had a good
chance.

It is hard to single out any one player (other than Larocque) because it
was a great team effort.  I hope they keep it up on Saturday although I am
concerned because I picked UND to win it all in the pool.  If my picks turn
out anything like my hoops picks, than BU should be in good shape.

Oh, yeah, I feel I should defend Parker who has taken some heat for his
comments about when BU loses it is an upset.  First off, I think what he
meant was that he hates to lose and that any time they do, they feel like
they let themselves down.  Not that no team is better than them and
therefore if they lose they were beaten by a lesser team.  As for Jack
being gods gift to hockey, anyone can think what they want, but having had
the pleasure of spending time with him before, and hopefully again, the
last thing he thinks is that he is the be all and end all of hockey.  I
think that he is being misunderstood and that the whole point of his
comments was that even though Michigan was the consensus number 1, this was
no David beating Goliath.  After all, BU was in the top ten all year,
mostly the top 5, and after all only lost 6 games this year.  While almost
no one gave them much credit, they are in the championship game for the
third time in 4 years.  Feel free to disagree with me if you want.

Dave
GO BU!!!!