From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 01:17:29 -0500
On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Garrett Lanzy wrote:

> >(9) Ice hockey rules group focuses on player safety, protective
> >    equipment
> >    Citing data from the Division I penalty analysis information, which
> >    indicates that high-sticking, cross-checking and slashing account
> >    for 20 percent of all penalties, the committee was adamant in its
> >    position that stick-related penalties must be treated with zero
> >    tolerance by officials and coaches.
> I couldn't agree more.  However, this isn't going to happen unless and
> until the NCAA gets virually 100% buy-in from the leagues, the league
> refs, and the coaches.  I think we all know how successful the "points of
> emphasis" have been in previous years -- by the time the holiday
> tournaments roll around, nobody seems to be paying attention anymore.

By the time one gets to Christmas, one of two things have happened.
Either the players have reformed, or the refs have decided they can't
have a parade to the penalty box each game.

> >    0 Determined that in the three-man officiating system (one referee,
> >    two assistant referees), the referee shall face off the puck at the
> >    center ice face spot only at the start of the game.  (Rule 5-3-b)
> Why just the beginning of the game, and not the beginning of the
> other periods?  I guess I don't understand the rationale for this one.

The NHL does it this way.

The rationale is, I think, mechanical. It will allow the referee to line
up along the side, and not have to worry about getting there after the
faceoff has taken place. It would allow him to be in better position to
follow the play immediately after the faceoff.

> >    0 Determined that an altercation is concluded when the referee
> >    enters the referee's crease or, in the absence of penalties, signals
> >    a face-off location (Rule 6-14-e)
> So a fight will magically end when the referee enters the ref's crease?  :-)

Geez, I wish I'd known that last week. A lacrosse game I reffed had a
brawl. If I'd known that I could make it stop by going into the referee's
crease.... ;-)

> Oh well, enough idle off-season speculation for one night.  Is it October
> yet?

No, sadly.

See you later,
John

--
John Edwards - Carleton (Ont) '96, Manitoba '00 - [log in to unmask]
          Let me get right on that, with thinking. - Officer Barbrady