From:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 16:06:54 -0500
G'day Hockey-L'ers. I've missed you guys all week. I thought everyone was just
quiet until Tuesday ... when I really started suspecting something went wrong.
Thanks to Howard I found out I wasn't subscribed anymore. Go figure! Anyhow, all
is fine now. I've kept busy contributing to USCHO's chat pages, but I'm glad to
be back on the list.

BTW, I don't know a Jim Gentile out west. I've heard of one who played major
league ball 50 years ago.

B.U. is awesome. This kind of showing by HockeyEast's Champ generates greater
respect for the rest of the league. I'm sure the Riverhawks feel a little better
knowing they played the potential "National Champs" as well as they did this
year. Maine certainly must be wondering just how well they might have done.

Well, my first good glimpse of Hobey Candidate Morrison didn't live up to my
expectations. The kid barely generated any offense. He did score that one in a
scramble though. It was a nice shot and exhibited some of the talent I realize he
must possess. That Luhning was the most impressive Wolverine IMO. Quite scappy,
the kind of skater I'd love to see on Lowell.

Michigan's defense looked pretty good. They broke up several odd man rushes. Of
course, if they weren't caught out of position so much, there wouldn't have been
those 2-on-1's.

Sean Bates has really come on ... as well as his linemate Albie O'Connell. But
that play by Drury to feed Degerman for the GWG was really nice. Of course, what
made it so pretty is the four-men Michigan penalty-killing unit all following
Drury and leaving the rookie Degerman alone out front.

How about that slapper from Drury that Turco is still looking for. Square off the
post and right back out to him so he could try again. Turco saw that one though!
That would have made it 4-1. Two posts and a crossbar.

How about the body checks by Lacouture. Botterill got whalloped. Michigan put out
a few good ones on B.U. defensemen behind their own net ... after they had
already played the puck up ice. Nice checks, but pretty ineffective as far as
thwarting the puck movement.

The officiating? - Not very good. Missed several calls and the ones that were
made were iffy. Except the boarding on Pierce and the hook that pulled Morrison
down. Michigan's first penalty was a joke ... clearly just an attempt to even up
the penalties. If Michigan's PowerPlay was allowed to operate as normal, it
woould've been different. Thank God for the unbelievable hustle of Bates and
Drury on the penalty-kill.

Anyone else think Norton over did the "unbiased" color. I mean, consistently
calling Michigan the better team all night was a little much. I'm a firm believer
in the "best team wins" and I think that's what happened last night. I think BU
could have taken a 2-out-of-3 series or even a 3-out-of-4.

I also see B.U. taking UND down. 6-4 loss and a 2-2 tie in N.Dakota earlier in
the year says something. At the time, B.U. wasn't playing their greatest hockey.
They were without Lacouture, Donatelli, Alger and Degerman ... I think. They
out-played UND in the 6-4 loss and if it wasn't for some partial officiating, it
might have been different. Noble looked pretty suspect on Friday, but Larocque
stood on his head the next night. Expect him to having UND shaking their heads
again on Saturday. This time, UND won't have their home-town refs handing out
power-plays left and right. How much do you think UND's alumni put in Goddard's
pocket for that performance in December. Just kidding! *wink*

The experience woke up BU, though ... as they went out the next weekend and swept
UNH ... who was playing at the TOP of their game.

Sorry, for the lack of brevity.

- Paul.