From:
David W Hatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 09:43:36 -0500
First, congrats to ND & BU on their wins.  I only caught highlights
of the ND/CC game, but it appeared that they really took it to CC.
BU obviously had a plan to try & contain/neutralize Michigan's
attack, & it worked.  Down 1-0 & facing a 5-minute Michigan power
play, BU must have known the implications if Michigan was able
to score (perhaps multiple times).  Instead, they manage to kill it
off & even had a few chances themselves.  Norton & Shea
immediately noted that often-heard phrase "Killing off that major
really ought to give BU a boost".  Yup.  Three unanswered goals
to take a 3-1 lead into the 3rd period.  From there, you could tell
Michigan was on their heels a bit, & BU was forechecking &
trapping well.

Not having watched much of Michigan's games, I was impressed
with their skating & skill level.  Morrison, Botterill, Madden, et al,
present a lot of weapons to defend against.  So, there is Morrison
(who else?), with under a minute left in the 3rd, when they absolutely
need a goal, snapping off a quick shot on a centering pass that
somehow got through 2 BU defenders. 3-2 BU.  The last minute
was great!  Just what you want to see as a somewhat impartial
viewer - the team that's trailing storming the opponents end trying
to get the tying goal.  And Michigan certainly had their chances.
But, the BU defenders & especially Larocque held them off.

What an entertaining game to watch!  Both Larocque & Turco both
played great.  I'm sure Turco would like to have that first goal back,
a knuckler that seemed to confuse him a bit.  It deflected off his right
pad & trickled in.  On BU's 2nd goal, how Bates' low shot from the
right cirlce found a way in, I'll never know.  There was a BU player on
the ice right in front of Bates, along with at least 2 Michigan defenders
(no TV camera angles seemed to show it - was it deflected?).  The
3rd BU goal was simply a great look & centering pass by Drury after
the entire Michigan team over-committed to him & left Degerman
alone in front.  Not much Turco could do about that one.

On the injury front, any word on Drury's hand?  It looked like he injured
one of his fingers & had it taped.  Also, a Michigan player (forget his
name) left in a hurry holding his hand/arm (wrist looked bloodied) after
he & Morrison drove to the net.  On TV, it looked like the player was
pushed into the goal, but the replay didn't appear to isolate what
caused his injury.  It looked pretty bad when he skated off - he didn't
even wait for the trainer to help him.  Also, at one point in the 3rd, the
TV showed a BU player struggling to roll over the boards & into the
bench.  I don't recall the announcers mentioning the player or the
incident.  He didn't look well, & I don't know if he returned.

Can't wait for Saturday's game...ought to be a good one.  Drop the puck!

Dave Hatfield
UML'86