Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 21:52:38 -0600
On Fri, 14 Feb 1997, Adam Wodon-Around the Rinks wrote:

> >   Most of the players I know, myself included, put the torch to
> > their sticks and make their own curves. Some like a big hook,
> > and some don't. The players know there is a rule against too much
> > curve. I don't know why a player would want that much on there
> > though because if a curve gets too big, your shot gets harder to
> > control and your backhand passing and shooting suffer.
>
> I believe this is the reason why there is a rule against too big a of curve.
> It's a safety issue. Too big of a curve, and the puck can do wild things.
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's most of the reason.

It's been a long time since I read it, but I believe Leonard Koppett's
book said that a hooked stick caused the puck to break downward on a
shot.  When the curve was first limited, the allowable hook was 1 1/5
inches, later reduced to 1/2 inch.  (These are NHL figures, I have no
idea whether the collegiate rules parallel them.)

|   Michael Patrick Bresina   |     America's always had a problem     |
|  [log in to unmask]  |  with illegal aliens.  Ask any Indian. |
|      The Rendezvous Online Service      |           telnet           |
|       Free Interactive TradeWars!       |       208.134.196.140      |
|           Common sense is what tells us the world is flat.           |
|             I don't judge a man by the color of his skin;            |
|            I judge him by his choice of internet provider.           |