ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 10:15:28 EST

> As far as the polls go, they're only polls.  Kevin mentioned that he thought
> BU and UNH were somewhat over-rated, especially given UNH's 2-4 record in the
> new year.  Given that Vermont was #1 in the RPI the last time I checked, I
> guess it's a little surprising that they aren't ranked higher in the polls.
> Looking at BU vs. NoDak, it looks like NoDak would have the edge, but did BU
> beat NoDak at NoDak, or did they tie and lose?  That could be the difference
> there.

They tied and lost, although that was without Poti, LaCouture, and Degerman.

> I think UNH's ranking is based a little on reputation at this point.
> I was surprised that a tie with Lowell actually helped in one poll, but then
> again Lowell is in third in Hockey East and I guess it's not that bad to split
> with the team on your heals.  UNH has a win and a loss to Vermont, a win over
> CC, a thumping and an OT loss to BU, and a big loss to Clarkson who wasn't in
> the top ten.  UNH is holding their own against top ten competition and still
> sit at 17-6.  Isn't that the second or third best record in the nation?  And I
> believe UNH has the second-toughest schedule in the country this year (can
> someone confirm this?).

Based on the Pairwise Rankings that are now available from USCHO's front page,
UNH has the second best winning percentage in the country and the third
toughest schedule.  That puts them at number three overall.

The Pairwise Rankings is what the NCAA uses at selection time.

Dave Hendrickson   [log in to unmask]
Hockey East writer for US College Hockey Online
        http://www.uscollegehockey.com