ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bill Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 14:09:49 EST
After gaining two very important wins over Providence this weekend it looks as
though things are heading in the right direction. Maine is 5-1 against Umass-Lo
well and Providence this year which is a good indication of how physical they a
re playing. Providence and Lowell have been consistently physical teams, and it
 was good to see some success against that. It's the part of the season when ev
ery game is critical. I think it is extremely important to finish the season in
 the top three of the league. We all know how UNH and BU will be there, but in
order for Maine to be able stay within the elite of the league, at least a thir
d place finish would solidify that. Hockey East has gotten much more competitiv
e as a whole, and we are seeing some rebirth in several different programs, for
 example BC. With all that has gone on here in the past year or so, coupled wit
h a few other schools emerging or reemerging, a place in the top three in the l
eague would be quite an accomplishment.  The thing that is a true testament to
the program, is that despite everything that has gone on, it  still knows how t
o be successful-even through hard times.  At many other schools-their programs
might not be able to bounce back like what Maine has.  As for a response in whe
ther Maine hockey is back? without a doubt. All you need is to look at the crow
ds that assembled this past weekend in the Alfond.  The support has just been
amazing.