ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 18:26:48 -0400
At 4:30 PM -0500 1/15/97, Deron Treadwell wrote:
> Bingo.  Off the top of my head I don't know of a case where an institution
> has been banned from TV and not from the postseason.

This may have happened before in basketball, I'm not sure.

> Now, rule guru's.. which is it.  I've heard that you have to exempt each
> individual game (in Maine's case would be 9 for postseason play, 5 for
> Hockey East Tournament next year and 4 for the NCAA Tournament), or only one
> game for each tournament (1 game for HOCKEY EAST, 1 game for NCAA's).  Maine
> is going on the latter, but I've yet to find a definate answer and the NCAA
> hasn't returned my inquiries on the matter.

I think I mentioned this to Deron once, my reading of the exemptions rule
is that each game is considered separately.  17.14.5 refers to Number of
Contests and lists types of exemptions that are allowed, e.g. 17.14.5.3 c)
"NCAA Championship. Competition in an NCAA ice hockey championship."  Some
exemptions only allow for one game to be exempted, as in the Hall of Fame
Game.  I read the one dealing with championship tourneys to mean all games
in that tourney.  I don't see any reason to believe that you can consider
the X games you might play in the HE tourney to be equivalent to one game
for exemption purposes.  There is certainly nothing that explicitly states
this.

> It wouldn't make sense for the appeals committee to overturn the postseason
> ban, just to make them ineligible because of the television situation.  The
> two have to be dealt with together.

Seems to me it is possible for Maine to win the postseason ban appeal and
still not be allowed to appear on tv.  Then it would be up to HE and the
NCAA Ice Hockey Committee to decide whether to let Maine compete given that
turn of events.  I could actually see HE allowing Maine in and keeping the
games off tv (IMO).  Not too sure about the NCAA though.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****   (Part-Time) Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey  WCAP 980 AM    *****