ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Bill Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 1997 09:44:31 EST
I spoke to Public Affairs Director John Diamond yesterday. He told me that the
university called the NCAA yesterday because they hadn't heard anything from th
em.  In fact, the call was prompted becasue of the article published in the Por
tland paper that quoted an NCAA official as saying something to the effect of a
 ruling in ten days. DIamond said the NCAA told them there would not be a decis
ion this week, but probably next. The NCAA wouldn't comment yesterday.  Who kno
ws really? It would be nice to see it come this week. I know everyone just want
s closure to this. One way or another, people want this behind them.  I have re
ad everybody's responses to the student support, and balcony etc etc. There
are a lot of really good views expresssed by everyone...........I spoke to Reg
Cardinal yesterday and asked him about all this. Does the team notice the turno
ut of the students? What do they think about a student section? Cardinal define
tly expressed the need for a student section, saying that with a loud group of
students can give them an "extra skater" on the ice. He also said the team has
noticed the lack of students showing up at the game. He said he remembered when
 he was a freshman, and how the students would come with their faces painted bl
ue, and be pretty loud. Reg also pointed out what they do at UNH with the stude
nts. It definetly gave the Wildcats an advantage in their rink. The same should
be done here.