ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 16:21:50 EST
(Warning!  Approaching personal opinion zone)

I'm with Dan.  The students shouldn't want the balcony ...  no drinks.

Some engineer will come along someday and say no rhythmic foot-stomping
in the balcony.  But most importantly ...

Kicking long-time supporters out of the balcony will cause a loss of
season ticket holders, bad feelings and thus a loss of important income.
(Trust me).

Kick the stuffings out of the administration that took the new East
grandstand away from the students, or (for real old-timers) sections U/V
at the South end of the arena.

OK, OK, both Dan and I have seats in the balcony and have had FOR A LONG
TIME.  Many or most of the lower and middle rows in the balcony have
been purchased by the same people for many many years.  With the
administration creating our recent NCAA embarrassments and hassles at the
door (confiscating food and water, making people arriving early stand
outside in below zero temps while watching an empty, warm lobby) there
would be a substantial negative effect from 1,500 students placed into
the balcony.

Why do you think FoMH membership is down to 500, a small fraction of
what it once was?  (There are probably many reasons, including...) Once,
one could be proud to be openly supporting the program and there were
numerous well-publicized benefits.  Mainers are embarrassed to be thought
of as cheaters and so have put themselves at arms length.  The hockey
may still be great, but the supporters and fans have been betrayed.
Some are trying to stay;  please don't drive them away.  Of lesser
importance, I don't recall a single announcement or sign last weekend
that would tell me that a "Skate with the Bears" is coming up, let alone
tell a new person what it's all about.

Dan gave some excellent *positive* actions that can be taken; let's
continue in that vein.

Shout 'til the rafters ring!

Wayne Smith
Old Town Landing