ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 23:00:54 -0500
Cathy brings up some good points worthy of discussion..

At 06:28 PM 2/3/97 -0500, Cathy Hart wrote:
>Another thought.......  It may just be simple apathy.  What else would
>explain why, with 4,000+ attendance, and statewide interest in the team, the
>FMH membership is below 500?  People want the entertainment, (and they get
>it!) but fail to see the absolute need for support, not only in dollars, but
>in spirit.

RE:  FoMH

I think part of the problem is a PR problem.  Friends of Maine Hockey took a
hit to a certain degree during the NCAA investigation.  No, as a booster
organization they were certainly not guilty of sinister crimes (as other
booster organizations at other schools have been), but it was significant to
get a couple boosters banned.  That tarnishes the image of the FoMH.

By saying that I don't mean to say it isn't fixable.  With time and the
great effort Cathy puts in, I expect to make a turnaround.. quickly.

Next year, when the team isn't dealing with NCAA bans and appeals, people
will start to slowly focus on hockey and the players, with the need for the
good support Maine had in the early 90's.  Right now, I think Maine still
suffers to some degree because of all that's gone on the last three years,
and I believe the booster organization suffers more because while people are
willing to go out to the games, they might be less likely to throw their
effort and money behind the team.

RE: leaving early

I'm curious to know what the attendence of post game receptions are?  It's
my understanding that FoMH charges non-members (sometimes) while members get
in free.  What percentage of FoMH members attend those?  On average how many
non boosters attend these functions?

I would think that this is one way to try and keep people in their seats.
The problem is that families with children have a hard time justifying going
to a reception following a hockey game at 9:30 p.m.

I think leaving early typlifies the kind of crowd Maine has now.  No longer
do they pack the place with at least 1500 students and people who bleed blue
and white.  Now it is people with nothing else to do on a Saturday night who
as Wayne says, come here for entertainment.

What can be done on off days to generate excitement in the program.  I hear
there is a "Skate with the Black Bears" coming up, sounds like a very good
program.  Hopefully there can be other programs, perhaps with FoMH working
with the coaching staff to get more people interested and positive about the
program.

>I love the students, and hope they arrange the ticket situation to more
>reasonably approximate the typical student lifestyle.  At least they make
>noise!  In "my" section, people look at me as if I am annoying them and not a
>"lady" because I have a loud shout (former cheerleader!) and I use it.
> Hockey is a raucous physical sport.  If you want dignity, go to the MCA!

I heard an elderly woman say to a friend as I headed down from the stands
and toward the press box that, "This place used to be a hard place to play in."

That is a problem along with the students.  You have a large group of season
ticket holders who have seen a national title won, and this 18-10-1 stuff,
"stinks" to them.  They support the program, but don't contribute to the
atmosphere.

In my experience it's a 50-50 split.  Fifty percent sit on their hands, or
cheer politely, and 50 percent try to get things going.  At 3000 season
tickets that means there is plenty of room for improvement.

Student ticket distribution is the SINGLE biggest key to Alfond's decline.
Students, unlike most community members, don't have to leave till the game
is over because many walk to the game.  They also contributed most to what
used to be an intimidating atmosphere.

I believe Bill Stewart did a piece on ticket distribution and plans for next
year.  Perhaps he can shed more light on this issue.  I also know that
Student Government was also working with the Blue Line Club.

I'd like to see FoMH involved, if they are not already.  Many adminstrative
parts of this university don't listen to students, but might listen to a
"adult" organization like FoMH that pours a lot into the Maine hockey
program.  The coaching staff should go to bat for the students as well.

Ideally, the best ticket distribution policy is the old one.  Where the
Monday and Tuesday before each weekend of games students can pick up
tickets.  As it stands now, students must pick up tickets sometimes a MONTH
before games or wait outside before each game to get tickets one hour before
the game.

It isn't really fair to make students plan a month in advance when the
general public can walk up on Wednesday-Friday and buy tickets the week of
the game.  I can also understand the need of the ticket office people to
streamline operations, but by making it so rigid a lot of students don't
bother, or don't find out in time.

I know this is getting long.. please bear with me.  There is one other thing
the ticket office needs to do, and that is put the students together.  Right
now students are spread out throughout the building, further dampening the
atmosphere.  A student section put together, is a loud student section.

Ask Alfie Michaud.  UNH puts their students behind the net where the
visiting team defends twice (like the balcony.. hint).  I know Cronin told a
reporter that Michaud was definately affected by that noise at the
Whittemore Center earlier this year.  Maine's balcony presents that same
kind of opportunity, and a great noise making ability.

Just imagine what 1500 students in the balacony might have been able to do
Sunday?  Maine played rather sluggish at times, but there was also no
electricity in the building.

In short, there is a lot of room for improvement.  It's good we recognize
this, but now it has to be implimented in some form or another.
---
Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask])