ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 20:11:34 -0400
Well, in response to Mike Machnik's post, let me snip from Deron's recap of
the Maine - BU game:

>Dave Hendrickson reported in his USCHO recap that Maine coach Shawn Walsh,
>with fists pumping and signalling "#1" to the Maine fans, made "a beeline to
>the locker room" and did not shake BU coach Jack Parker's hand following the
>contest.

Why does Shawn feel the way he does toward Parker ?  Only he knows, and he
ain't tellin'.  What better way to strike back but on the ice, which is
what Jackie should have done in the first place.  Why win on the ice when
you can win at Shawnee Mission, where the only thing they really are sure
about ice is that you can put it in cocktails ?

I didn't say that Jackie Parker had influence on a continuing basis on all
NC$$ hockey operations.  What I will say is that it is very easy under the
chaotic rules to "drop a dime" on another program.  One anonymous call (or
perhaps even calling and identifying himself) to the compliance committee
based upon knowledge of an alleged infraction of a close competitor is not
out of the realm of strong possibility.

Of course, I can't prove whether Jackie Parker did it or not.  But I surely
can't irreparadely damage Maine's reputation on the list or torpedo Maine's
NC$$ eligibility for games in this academic year.  But it's as "productive"
to speculate on Parker's role in all this as to try to figure out where BU
should have placed in the rankings last week, as discussed ad nauseum on
the list earlier.

I think the likely scenario is that Parker found out Dunham had been
offered a stipend by USA Hockey, perhaps by someone else involved in the
team, and there was the opportunity to drop the dime.  The worst defense,
Mike, is to explain too much in your denial.

Jackie must have audited a political science class at BU taught by former
Boston mayor Kevin Hagan White, who most assuredly would have told the old
story about what Mayor Curley (convicted felon and Congressman) advided his
fellow public officials:

"Don't write down what you can say to someone, don't say something when a
nod will do".   A philosophy which beter assures deniability or avoidance
of culpability.  In other words, I think Parker nodded.

This is the last I'll write on this thread, let's enjoy the defeat and gear
up for next week.

Dan Doucette                                             UMaine 78 MPA 80